Larry Johnson or Ladainian Tomlinson

Discussion in 'NFL Talk' started by slimcat, Nov 24, 2006.

1. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Whats everybodys opinion on whos better Larry Johnson or Ladainian Tomlinson. In my opinion I had rather have the blend of power, moves and speed of Larry Johnson. Watched the Chiefs beat the Broncoes last night and LJ was totally awesome. Close to BO Jackson as you are gonna get.

2. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Can't be "wrong" no matter which you choose. When these type classic questions (who would you rather have?) I tend to look at it from a little different perspective ... which of the two I'd hate to defend against the most?
    Both will beat you, both are the best in their respective way. Mostly this comes down to what style of back a person likes. But I think defending LT is harder. Even though LJ is next to impossible to hold down for the full game, at least you know where LJ is going to line up. LT creates match-up problems even when lining up as a wide out. I don't beieve there is much doubt that LT has better hands than LJ ... and arm (LT had 3 TD's last year... throwing the ball). I guess my point is, both are nightmares for defenses, but IMO LT can beat you more ways.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    right now I'd have to take L.J. a little Bigger and faster with a few less miles then LT. Best moves for a big back EVER! If you look at starts only L.J. is more productive then LT. Living in KC I get to see Johnson on a regular basis, his hands are almost as good as LT's. Get this guy in space and He'll absolutly kill You.

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would take either one on my team (if I had one) but I would say LT has a slight edge.

5. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    My thoughts as well Brad K. Larry Johnson is just plain bad, I never thought when he was in college he would ever be this good but WOW. The dude can flat move and has some stutter steps out of this world.

6. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I have to lean toward L.T. IMO he's has nothing to prove whereas L.J. may be one of those one hit wonders. I'm guessing L.T. will be more of a career man, we'll see.

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I doubt LJ being a one hit wonder. How about last year, How about this year. His moves and speed prove otherwise. LT, is not as durable for the long haul either he reminds me of Tiki, he may retire early.:crazy:

8. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    L.T. is a touchdown machine! Johnson is the bigger back which helps out in goal line situations. If LT gets past the first wave of defenders, no one will catch him.

9. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Both are awsome, but for overall ability and skills, Tomlinson is the better back hands down. JMHO. :big_smile:

10. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

That is a tough one to call right there. I think that one is right up their for me with what I want to eat that day - chicken or fish. With fish you get the great taste, and better nutrients to boot. If I had my choice it would be fish seven times out of ten, and that is how I view Tomlinson. This guy can do it all for you. He is as complete a back as you're ever going to get in this league, which is why he is being compared to some of the greats of all time. The guy is great, and a great attitude to boot...

Larry Johnson is really close though with all that speed and power, but I like Ladanian. Ladanian is one of those rare backs that would thrive on any team that had a halfway decent O-line.

On a side note, I have never seen anyone run the football like Barry Sanders, no matter what the media feeds you...

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Niether one! LOL! I'll take Earl Campbell!

12. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City

Nah I'll take "Sweetness" Walter Payton

13. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I got to go with LT...4 straight 1000 yard seasons, he has more td's this year by himself than i think 8 or 9 teams...He is not only the best back in the league, he is the best player in the league...He is a heck of a football player, he is like a barry sanders.

14. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Yeah Earl Campbell was an animal..

15. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Tale of the tape according to NFL.com:
    L.Tomlinson L. Johnson
    DOB: 6/79 11/79
    Years Pro: 6 4
    Starts: 90 23
    Height: 5-10 6-1
    Weight: 221 230
    2006 Stats (11 games)
    Carries 229 282
    Yards 1146 1202
    Yards/Carry 5.0 4.3
    Longest Run 58 45
    Receptions 48 30
    Yards Rec. 456 349
    TD's 24 (+2 more passing) 15
    Team record 9-2 7-4
    First downs 65 61
    Who's more productive? :big_smile:

16. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Thanks for the info, looks like the stats speak for themselves...I didnt know LT has been in the league for 6 seasons now.I thought it was 4..So he has 6 straight 1000 yard seasons

17. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    We also have to remember Johnson is running behind a patchwork O-line and with out his starting QB for most of his season.

LT has a solid, healthy,cohesive O-line and His QB (Rivers) is doing a good job

Why don't we look at last year when both teams were healthy.

05 STATS (rushing)

Johnson Tomlinson

Games 16 16
    Games Started 09 16
    Att. 336 339
    Yds 1750 1462
    Ave 5.2 4.3
    Long 49 62
    TD 20 18
    20+ 15 8
    1st downs 97 71

When all things are closer to equal.....Who's more productive?????

18. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Exactly right Brad. Also ask DB's who they like tackling more.LOL. I guarantee you pound for pound speed for speed Larry Johnson is way more talented than LT can imagine. First of all LJ ran a 4.37 at 235lbs at the combine. LT ran a sub 4.5 at 215lbs. LT may catch a few more passes but LJ will outrun and outpunish him anyday.

19. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona

I agree. But I'll take either one for the Bears.

20. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Since you are also talking retired backs as well, there was nobody like #34 for the Chicago Bears, Walter Payton, as a person and player was the best, never jelous or envious of anybody even when Ditka robbed him of a touchdown in the supper bowl by giving the ball to Perry.