Lark III 40 HP

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SC Hartwell, Oct 29, 2006.

1. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Ok guys this thing is 1962 outboard. It was running ok.... other than the fact it wont idle I have to start it in gear. Once it got up to speed it would run fine. I replaced the gas line and now I have to start it in gear put the throttle all the way up and run back and turn the choke off. What is the deal? I don't want to take it anywhere since i am kind of broke. It won't idle and it will go probably about 300 yds. then choke down, choke down, then die. My gas mixture is good, no leaks in the line, nothing looks wrong.

Thanks

2. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    O yea something else I noticed was that the vent on the top of the gas tank was screwed all the down. i backed it off a little to let it breath so it won't implode on its self. I don't know!! Help... Please!

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Do a compression ck and spark check and post it here. I would venture to say you are sucking air around the low speed needle or it is plum stoped up in the carb but lets do some test first.

I'll see if I can find the procedure for the proper needle settings and post them here for you. I should have a exploded view of that carb to.

I just caught your second post and open that vent all the way out because it needs to breathe to run.

By the way give me a model number so I can tell what carb you are dealing with.

4. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    OK thanks! I think it might be the needles. Man this sucker is old.... i'm going to do all I can to keep her going.

5. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I think the model is 355350

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That would be a serial number you have there..
    What do you mean old, Why I have fishing equipment older then that. I have 3 or 4 old johnson and evenrudes running now. in the 50 and 60's

7. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I'm just 17, you know so it is a little hard to appreciate. But I am so hellbent on getting my favorite hole, i'm getting ready to shoot myseld with this engine. So what do I do just back the needle all the way out and clean it off and the hole. Or do you recommed me just take the whole thing apart and clean it.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You need to take that carb apart and soak it and rebuild it if you want it to run right. Those old engines were just about bullit proof and what mix are you running. 24: 1 or 50:1

9. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    1 quart of oil for every 6 gallons of gas

10. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I found out that the problem was a leak in the fuel pump..... I think that this was the problem. Also I bought a belt for the alternator (almost impossible to find), this should help it out considering I think the motor ran off the battery at lower rpms.