Largest flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by adamj, Jul 22, 2008.

1. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    OK, WHAT DO YOU MUSKINGUM GUYS THINK IS THE ABSOLUTE LARGEST FLATHEAD IN YOUR RIVER. DO YOU THINK THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY OF BREAKING THE STATE RECORD. WE HAVE ALOT OF NICE FISH IN THE MAUMEE, BUT I MIGHT HOLD MY BREATH WHEN IT COMES TO A STATE RECORD. I JUST DON'T THINK A FISH THAT SIZE IS SWIMMING IN THE MAUMEE. MY VOTE ON THE MAUMEE IS ABOUT 60 MAYBE 65LBS TOPS AND THIS WOULD BE A FREAK. IF ANYONE UP HERE HAS SEEN OR KNOWS OF A LARGER FISH LET US KNOW. NONE OF THAT "MY CUZIN'S FREIND BIFFY BOB COUGHT A 87 POUNDER ONCE" GIVE LENGTH AND GIRTH IF YOU HAVE IT.

2. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    THE LARGEST FLATHEAD I HAVE PERSONALLY SEEN FROM THE MAUMEE WAS 47LB. I DON'T KNOW THE LENGTH OR GIRTH. MY LONGEST FISH WAS 44IN.

3. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Took my buddy Mickey out about 3 weeks ago and he got a 54 lb.That's the biggest I know of so far out of the Maumee.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Those all sounds like good fish, thanks for posting

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    big fish rumors flying about in the great miami a 60+ plus pounder at the dam in middletown very possible. a local fisherman got one that big near that dam probably even that big down by the mouth of the ohio river. thr great miami is not the muskingum but there is alot of flathead in it south of dayton and a good possibility for a large fish

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I do believe there are potential state records swimming in the Muskingum. There has been several right at 70lbs caught in some of the southern pools in recent years.

7. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT. I REMEMBER SEEING THAT FISH JOE. THAT FISH MAY BE THE LARGEST FISH OUT OF THE MAUMEE THIS YEAR. OXBOW BAIT SUPPOSEDLY HAS PICTURES OF A COUPLE FISH RIGHT AT 50-52LBS CAUGHT IN THE LAST COUPLE YEARS. IF THERE WERE A FEW FISH NEAR 70LBS CAUGHT AT THE MUSKINGUM THEN THERE IS A REAL POSSIBILITY THE NEXT STATE RECORD IS SWIMMING THERE.

8. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    i am not from your area but i hope you catch that record good luck to ya brother..:wink:

9. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anywhere that holds an abundance of flathead easily has the possibility of breaking a WORLD record.

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    If i remember right there was a 70 lber caught right in south zanesville in the summer of 04......it was on the cover of the newark newspaper.........bassmassey

11. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I can't verify, but some gentlemen fishing the Maumee have told me that fish over 60 lbs have been caught. I wouldn't doubt there could be a fish around 60 lbs or a little bigger in the Maumee, especially near Napoleon and west. The river is very fertile and has plenty of forage fish in it.

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i remember now it was in the middletown paper it was a 63 lb flathead near the low dam by route 4 in middletown very possible state record in the gmr rick like the maumee the great miami is very fertile they are plenty of bluegill, chub and carp for the shovelheads not to mention the game they eat.

13. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I THINK THE LOCATION OF THE MUSKINGUM AND THE GMR HELP ALOT. THEY ARE BOTH AT LEAST 60MILES SOUTH OF THE MAUMEE. LOOK AT MICHIGAN, I BELIEVE THE STATE RECORD FLATHEAD IS ONLY 42 LBS. 60-100 MILES MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THIS REGION OF THE COUNTRY.
    I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE STATE RECORD BUT THE MAUMEE HAS TONS OF FLATS IN THE 20-40LB CLASS.