Largest fish caught on shrimp.

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by alton, Sep 10, 2007.

1. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I see a lot of guys use shrimp for bait and I am just curious as to the size fish that will take shrimp, especially blues. Thanks.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I took a guy on my boat once and he was using shrimp and catching blues.

The biggest two fish that day were a 40 and a 36. I am thinking the 36 was on shrimp, but they were hitting shad for me that day.

Them shrimp sure do smell though.

Maybe a piece added to the hook to sweeten up the regular big bait might be good. Then you get ALL THE STINK, plus a bigger presentation when that catfish shows up to eat.

I might have to try that myself instead of just giving out advice. LOL:wink:

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My experience for the most part the bigger channels will strike the shrimp. This is versus just using a nightcrawler and or stink baits. My biggest channel cat was caught on a shrimp two years ago in mid-October. For some reason they wont really hit those Jumbo shrimps.At least the few times I have tried them this always stumps me for some reason....lol..... You lucky Lousiville shrimps are about $7 a pound down here except for the few times I cant get them on sale.

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    31 plus pound blue on a plain raw medium shrimp. Tennessee river August 2005.

5. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I never had any luck on shrimp,but on the other hand I only used them once.

6. bigsmitty13

bigsmitty13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My 10 year old nephew caught a 30 pound blue drifting with shrimp about a month ago on Lake Tawakoni, TX. Beautiful fish.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If I am after eaters I use shrimp quite often but I have landed them in the 20# range on shrimp. If you want a good presentation from them then soak them in some vanilla extract before use. Those cats seem to love the combination of vanilla and shrimp mix.

8. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think I will have to try some shrimp. It makes since catfish eat what is available in their water. I fish brackish water and shrimp are very plentiful. Thanks for the thought.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I always take shrimp with me,theres not to many days i dont catch something on it.Its one of my favorite baits to use.I normally catch them with it anywhere from the small cats to about 20 pounds(so far).

10. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    This past thursday I caught a 25 and two just over 20 (channels) on medium sized shrimp.That was all they hit on!