Largest Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by mnoble72, Aug 3, 2009.

1. mnoble72

mnoble72 New Member

State:
    Evans City PA
    Caught a 35" 20 lb channel catfish on Friday night. My question is how common of are fish this size in PA? Has anybody else caught a fish of this size that you know of? I have caught several channels in the 8 to 10 lb range and flatheads up to 30 lbs.

2. Imprsessive:wink:, please say you have a pic of it!:eek:oooh:

Biggest I have personally caught was close to 30":roll_eyes:, usually anything over 28" is rare in my stretch.

I think Shawn(BigFish4Me) nailed a few over 30":wink:. Don't hear about that happening alot though.:cool2:

3. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    Welcome to the BOC. I use to live in Lancaster county and I never caught a channel over 5 lbs but always had good numbers. Now I moved in the Pittsburgh area and only been out a couple of times but expect to catch some bigger channels in the future. I also am upgrading my stuff for I can target flatheads.

4. mnoble72

mnoble72 New Member

State:
    Evans City PA
    no pictures!!! 1:30 in the morning. Silly to say but wanted to get back in the water as fas as possible.

5. mylz17

mylz17 Member

State:
    Birdsboro, PA
    This should give you a good indication. Granted, not everyone reports their fish, but a 20# channel would have been the 2nd largest caught (and reported) in PA last year

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/bigfish.htm

6. MikeV

MikeV New Member

State:
    pennslvania
    I'v caught atlease 5 or 6 that were 32in. I finally beat that this year with a 33in.A friend of mine caught a fat one this year i'm not sure how big it is but heres a pic.

Attached Files:

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    There are 20lb channel cats that live in the Delaware River!

They are rare in the non-tidal Skuke!

10lb is considered big out east!:cool2:

8. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Checkout Naack (Shawn) he caught a 33 lb. channel last year that just missed the state record. He uses the picture for his avatar.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Congrats on a nice channel.

10. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Congrarts on your catch.A 20# channel any where is a good fish.

11. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I was with Lenny (Lendog) when he caught his hall of fame 16.4 pound channel in the Skuke ,also I had a few 13# channels they are here :wink:

12. mylz17

mylz17 Member

State:
    Birdsboro, PA
    How much of a fight does a 20# put up? I've caught some 8-10#'s that rival a bigger and badder flatheads in a fight.

Nice fish!

13. mnoble72

mnoble72 New Member

State:
    Evans City PA
    about 25 min fight on steelhead with 8 lb test. Had both anchors up in the boat and it would spin the boat. I fish this lake alot and never thought there were any catfish that big in that lake. I have caught several around 10lbs in the lake, but it is a big jump up to 20 lbs.

14. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA

Check out my avatar .. 33lbs biggest ive3 ever cought most i usualy see is between 8 and 19lbs... but they are in their :wink: oh and my daughter was 5 years old in that picture :big_smile:

15. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    when i hooked into the 33lber i woulda put money on it as a state record Flat... it took a live 7 inch gill... i thought i had a 60lb Flat on til i got her to shore :eek:oooh:

16. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

17. mylz17

mylz17 Member

State:
    Birdsboro, PA
    I got to find me some bigger channels!! Some of the flats I've caught felt like I was pulling a weight through the water :smile2:

18. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Welcome to the club, good to see another Butler County guy. Thats an impressive catch. Too bad you didnt get a pic. You catch it at Arthur?

19. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    My best was a 34 incher that went just a little past the 15 lb mark on my Lipper scale. I'm always lookin for that elusive 36 incher!

20. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    A twenty pound channel is very impressive congrats. Biggest I've ever caught was 17.5 pounds and have seen a couple a little bigger.