Larger Live well

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by deerhunter4, Jun 12, 2007.

1. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello all I have a serious question...I am a Local Illinois Catfisherman....I am in need of a way to keep my catch alive till I get home...However I am fishing a warm water lake heated on one side by a powerplant...I have a hard time keeping them alive in my live well as the water is so warm almost seems to cook'em...Does anyone have any ideas on maybe something I can add to my own city water to cut the cholorine and give them a healthier water to maintain in until I get home...Also will ICE help this...I know probably seems like a dumb question...but we have a pond that we are helping to stock and seems like we just can't keep em alive all the time to get them into there...

What we don't put in the pond we eat...However we wanna give the local children a nice place to fish...and have had some success just would like to get better at it is all...Thank you for any advise you may have...right now we have approx. 120 channels in the 2 acre pond...We feed them dog food just about every other night and some of them are pretty big...Kids are having a Ball...Also how many fish would be to many for this Pond it is approx. 15' deep at the deepest point with an average depth of about 7' and an area of about 2 acre's...if any one knows this it would also be nice...It does not have any running water under it as far as springs so I am not sure if the channel cats can reproduce? Is this true?
    the pond is also loaded with bluegill and three grass carp approx. 10lbs per each of them...If know one knows the answer to these questions that is ok but I thought what a better place to ask than the BOC...

Thanks in advance

2. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    You need to limit the amount of lake water you are circulating either in time or in volume. Circulation and aeration is more important to a live well than huge amounts of fresh water. Keep the temperature in your live well lower than the lake and the water will hold more oxygen. Your live well takes water from the top few inches of the lake. The water may be well oxygenated when you pump it in but due to its temperature it will not hold the oxygen long. Also the effects of ammonia and nitrates from fish urine will be accelerated by higher temps.

Before you go fishing stop by the aquarium department of your local store and pick up a thermometer. Then freeze some plastic soda bottles of water and stock your cooler with them. It will save on your ice bill and when your live well heats up toss in a couple to safely lower the temperature. Commercial live well chemicals also help fish survive the stress of capture and release. Over the years I have used several brands and they seem to work well.

3. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Riddle,
    I Thank you for the advise and will try tomorrow some of these techniques....Look forward to fishing this weekend...wanna get a mess for a nice family fry...

Again thanks for the help...