Larger J hooks for Big Baits

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by jculpepper05, Jan 5, 2020.

1. jculpepper05

jculpepper05 Member

State:
    Alabama
    Name:
    Josh Culpepper
    Growing up I primarily used cheap eagle claw bait holder j hooks. For the past 5 years I have strictly used circle hooks from 4/0-8/0. There is certain times of the year I feel like I could have more success with j hooks. Sometimes the catfish just aren't as agressive. I've been looking at the Team Catfish Jack hammer hooks but they only go up to 6/0. What are some larger J hooks yall have used for bigger baits?

2. SpecialK

SpecialK Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kevin
    I like the Gamakatsu octopus hooks, they go up to 10/0 and the Whisker Seeker J hooks as well

Rockabilly-Angler and eastforker like this.

3. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    The Eagle Claw King Kahle hook goes up to a 10/0.

Flathead Tyrant and philly35 like this.
  4. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    When I wanted a big j type hook I went to Trokar Khale hooks in 7/0 and 9/0

5. jculpepper05

jculpepper05 Member

State:
    Alabama
    Name:
    Josh Culpepper
    I haven't used the khale style hooks. I have used the octopus hooks before I went to circles. I've heard you can fish the khales like circles or set the hook like traditional J's.

6. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    Yes, I have done it both ways with no issues yet but I don't fish them much. Circles do what I want really well and when I'm not paying attention they work too.

Brackish*Water likes this.
  7. philly35

philly35 Well-Known Member

State:
    iowa
    Name:
    Philip
    Well if your a team catfish fan, check out their super J hooks. The Eagle Claw king kahle are great hooks and I prefer them over the big team catfish hooks. The Team Catfish hooks are just soo thick. This past summer, I used the Tackling Kat k-kat hooks and wow I am impressed. My hookup rate went up instantly. They are kind of like the king kahle hooks but four times as sharp. As for those super Js, they can be found much cheaper elsewhere. Team Catfish just repackages hooks and ups the price.

8. VanKley

VanKley Well-Known Member

State:
    SE South Dakota
    Name:
    Tom Van Kley
    Buy all your hooks from Amazon. Just type in Big River hooks n you'll get lots of options.
    You should never pay much more than 50 cents per hook.

Tommy Dean and jculpepper05 like this.
  9. bowhunter63

bowhunter63 Well-Known Member

State:
    Springfield Mo
    Name:
    Scott
    Team Catfish Super J is a good strong hook.

10. jculpepper05

jculpepper05 Member

State:
    Alabama
    Name:
    Josh Culpepper
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I like trying different ones and then buying bulk what I like the most. I have saved a lot of money buying bulk hooks and lead off ebay and amazon. I only buy from stores now when I'm in a pinch.

eastforker and VanKley like this.
  11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i get all my hooks off ebay now.i save money and have yet ti get a bad hook.i buy j hooks and circle hooks.i cant tell the differanc in the ones from japan or china they both look like eagle claw hooks.

12. Flathead Tyrant

Flathead Tyrant Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Travis
    That is a really good choice for big baits.

Those hooks are very affordable too.

13. Rockabilly-Angler

Rockabilly-Angler Well-Known Member

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    I myself am a little partial to a few different hooks that I do use when I'm not using a Circle Hook for whatever reason:

Berkley Fusion hooks are nice, and a nice thick gauge as well, so that is one option

Gamakatsu Octopus Hooks - Literally one of my go to hooks when I'm not using a Circle Hook! I have them in a LOT of sizes because I'm a huge fan of Octopus Hooks in general, and I have these in size 9/0, and I plan on trying a live Walleye for Flathead Bait this year using a Stinger Rig on these.

Mustad Ultra Point Beak Hooks and "Big Gun Catfish Hooks" from Mustad are also nice!

VMC Octopus Hooks. I have little tiny size 8s, and little size 1 or 2 as well, and again, nice and sharp, and they come in a BUNCH of sizes.

I just got some Trokar Magnum HD 9/0 Circle Hooks, which, LOL, these things are monsters but not much different in size (length that is.... Girth on these is awesome LOL) but now that I own some Trokar Hooks, I imagine the Octopus Hooks they make would be pretty stellar as well.

These are simply the ones I like the most, and with the money I save on not ever buying braid I put that into good hooks, which matters WAY more to me than just about any other piece of gear.

14. MonFlatcat

MonFlatcat Well-Known Member

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Beau
    I use mainly octopus hooks, have used several brands, with no real preference. Currently have a bunch of gamakatsu and vmc. Have used these and other brands extensively and am happy with. Use only size 8/0 and 9/0.

I also like charlie brown circle hooks. you can used them as circles or j hooks. I use them as Js.

jculpepper05 likes this.
  15. Rockabilly-Angler

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    VMC and Gamakatsu are literally my two favorite brands of Octopus Hooks. I haven't ever had a problem with those two, and they are out of the package nice and sharp!

I have some Gamakatsu 9/0 Octopus Hooks myself, and the size of those is actually kind of nice because I've been thinking about catching some Walleye here, and using them for Flathead bait, and I think that if I use those 9/0 Gamakatsu Hooks with a Stinger Rig, it seems like that would work out pretty well where I could rig the Walleye up and actually have enough Hook point exposed.

They're pretty good sized hooks, and one of them biggest I actually have, and for me to legally use a Walleye, I have to make sure it's of legal keeper size, which here is like 15 inches, but for a Flathead that seems perfect.

The shape of the Walleye is why I initially went to Octopus Hooks; They're elongated fish and I'm not exactly going to stick just one hook in that, as there's always a chance a Flathead would grab it from the other side and I wouldn't be able to set that hook right, but with a Stinger Rig I could put one hook near the head, and the other further back, and then use the Free Spool lever to allow it to take off without feeling much, and then set the hook after reeling down a bit.

That's one of the things I LOVE about Octopus Hooks; I used some good sized ones about 3 weeks ago and got a Sucker, and because of the mouth shape on those, setting the Hook was basically popping it out of their mouths, but I managed to just simply reel down on it, and because of the shape and bends in those hooks, it set it anyway. Had the same things happen to me with Perch a few times; I'd go to set the hook and nothing, but then when I'd simply Reel down, it would hook the fish very nicely.

SCUBACATFISHMAN likes this.
  16. MonFlatcat

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Beau
    I have long been a fan of big baits, and love using some species up to 15". I use a single hook in back, and never had an issue with hookup. Seems to me, any flat big enough to catch and crush the bait that size generally has no problem fitting all or most of the bait in its mouth quickly.

Ive used double hook rigs on quicksets for musky. Never found the need on flats due to missing fish. Only issue Id had in the past with fish not getting hooked was with large live baits using circle hooks.

While I havent found it necessary myself, the added security of the stinger hook certainly couldnt hurt.

17. Rockabilly-Angler

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    Thanks bro ! I've been wondering about how that would work out myself and haven't had a chance to really try it out yet. I do love Circle Hooks, but for a Walleye, I'm thinking Octopus Hooks are going to be my go to until I at least get a chance to test this stuff out and see how it goes, but 15 inches is a legal sized Walleye here, so your experience is actually pretty helpful for me. Thanks again for the info !

18. MonFlatcat

State:
    Pa
    Name:
    Beau
    Just to add a little to that, I think alot of guys, including some that I have fished with, miss fish for a variety of reasons when setting hooks. Usually I have found, when Im fishing with someone who is missing multiple fish with big live bait and j hooks, its because they have too much "softness" to their setup. Either drag set too light, rod not enough backbone, or line with too much stretch, or often a combination of some or all of the above. I think those things are MUCH more important with large live bait than if using cut bait or small live.

Learned about those things firsthand, the hard way through the years. lol.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  19. 3rivers

3rivers Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Gregg
    I occasionally run a stinger hook on giant baits. I don't blink at using suckers, bass, or walleyes, channels in the 12-18". If I have giant baits pre-caught then I'll run a stinger rig, but if I catch it while I'm already fishing I single hook them. Some through the nostrils, some through the back. I don't know if you'll ever get as good a hookup rate with giant baits, there's just simply a lot of meat there to get in the way. Regardless of rig they'll usually be 10/0 Octo J hooks by anybody. A j hook is a J hook imo, find a good deal, brand isn't really important.

20. Rockabilly-Angler

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    Yeah man I know what you mean, though, sometimes in my case, I'm not allowing enough stretch when I'm using a Circle Hook where that stretchy line can help out as a fish doesn't feel the same amount of resistance, and I've had a few occasions where the fish was hook with a huge Circle Hook in the bottom of the jaw, the top of the jaw, and a few other odd spots which I'm guessing was the fish trying to spit the bait because it started feeling the line tighten, but because I generally use good Circle Hooks that are super sharp, by the time they try to spit the bait, it manages to pivot and set it anyway.

I use a pretty tight Drag setting most of the time because if I'm using Circle Hooks, I want to be sure there's enough pressure to set it properly, and allow it to Pivot in their mouths. I get told all the time I set my Drag too tight, LOL, but personally I don't mind, as long as I'm landing them, in my mind, it is working just fine haha.

I've seen what you're talking about too where guys have their Drag set REALLY low, and I don't judge when people do that, I mean, they could always thumb the spool to set the hook properly, and then allow it to start tearing out Drag, which I've also seen, but some of the people I've seen do that, are using really small hooks, so their risk of the Hook bending into a free baiting needle, or, simply tearing out of the mouth, is a real concern for them, but a lot of that seems to be using small Aberdeen Hooks, because the Hook Shank is so long compared to the rest of the hook that they seem to bend REALLY easy.

To be Honest, even when I'm not using Circle Hooks, I still set my Drag tight because I can get away with it using these huge thick gauge hooks, which, I know it theoretically can prevent a fish wanting to take my line, but I've caught little "Fiddlers" or small Juvenile Channel Cats that were barely legal to keep on 8/0 Berkley Fusion Circle Hooks with 30 pound mono so if it's working, I stay with it heh.

I just recently this year got some HUGE Thick Gauge Circle Hooks that I'm super excited to try for larger bait presentations, and these things are MONSTER hooks! It's the Eagle Claw Trokar HD 9/0 Salt Water Circle Hooks, and I'm pretty sure these can take well over 20 pounds of pressure without bending, and the curves in them are awesome looking !

I strictly use Mono personally, which has stretch to it, but at least for how I set up my Rigs, a stretchy line, and a decently flexible Rod work really well together with hooks that are incredibly sharp. Mustad makes a few hooks I like, as does VMC, and Gamakatsu, and the Trokar Hooks are nice too and have a good thick wire gauge like the Fusion ones, but a lot thicker. As long as I have the Drag set REALLY tight and I know the breaking strength of each thing I'm using, then it usually works out well for the Circle Hooks.

Octopus Hooks in my experience work REALLY well, and I can either set the hook, or, if I'm after something other than Catfish, I end up generally just reeling down on the fish which is how I get Suckers and other fish that don't have the same huge mouth size. Thanks for the input man I appreciate it !