LARGER HANDLE ON BAITRUNNER?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by pennsyvinn, Sep 3, 2009.

1. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    Seeing that baitrunner B series has been discontinued,I decided to pick up one before they got real hard to get.I picked up a 3500B missing a handle & a 4500B both new never fished on ebay for $125.00.I ordered a handle from shimano for the 3500 for $14.50 so that reel will be fine.My question is the seller included a larger,beefier extra handle with the same size shaft as the 4500.Do you think this handle is from a 6500?It fits fine, so I'm going to use this handle.I know we all put bigger handles on our baitcasters,but does putting a larger handle on a spinning real do anything to enhance the performance?It just seems more comfortable to me.Does anyone else use a 6500 handle on a 4500?

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    This is just my opinion and many will probably disagree with me but putting bigger handles or power handles on reels has never made sense to me.
    The reel is not a winch. When fighting a fish it is a place to store the line that is gained from the upward stroke of the rod. Gain line with the rod, gather it in with the reel
    Nearly all reels have a ratchet or one way bearing so it's not even necessary to use the handle to prevent the reel from giving line. I see some guys straining away trying to turn the reel like they are operating a crane and not moving the rod at all. Makes it really hard on ya to only use half the equipment...W

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

THIS PRETTY MUCH SAYS IT ALL HERE GUYS

I AGREE 100%

LeRoy :cool2:

4. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    I'm sorry maybe I didn't explain my post better.I have an unidentified handle,I would like identified(posted pics smaller handle original 4500b large handle?)Like I stated in my post ,when I use larger handles it is for comfort.Years of abusing my hands in my occupation as a collision tech,really makes turning a reel with a small handle painful.If somebody could tell me if this is a 6500b handle I would appreciate it.Thanks

Attached Files:

• 065.jpg
      065.jpg
      File size:
      23 KB
      Views:
  5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those larger handles are more comfortable for me reeling in though.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Nothing wrong with that guys; if the big handle fits your hand better and is more comfortable and it fits the reel.... go for it...W

7. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    I have an older model of the 6500b baitrunner, that handle looks like what you have in the picture except the knob. Mine is hard plastic and the one in the picture looks like rubber, very comfortable.

8. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I agree. I have power handles on two reels. One came with it the other I installed. Not for power but I like not having the second knob in the way and it's more comfortable for my wrist.

9. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    yes that's the handle from a 6500B

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    looks like the 6500 ta me, same knob type, i'd say if the threads and shaft fits then use it, i have two 4500's and never thought about stepin up the handle but thats a good idea, now if i could just find a couple 6500 handles i'd be set. also if ya like a bigger handle check out the cabela's saltstriker those have a big knob for a handle and makes it alot easier ta use:wink:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  11. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    hi looks like its from a 6500, i have one with a 6500 on a 4500. makes the cranking slower.

i enjoy the speed of a 4500. the 3500 wont fit a 4500 or 6500

hope this helps

12. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    If anyone wants to put a larger Handle on their 6500B.The Shimano Stella 2000FA Handle fits pefectly on the Baitrunner.Learned this trick from the Aussies.Shimano also confirmed it in a email.