largemouths for bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfish clinton, May 18, 2009.

1. catfish clinton

catfish clinton New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i know a guy who has a pond that has WAY too many largemouths in it. he tells everyone that fishes it to throw out any small bass they catch. i dont like just throwing them on the bank and letting the coons get 'em. will cats bite small largemouths?

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I think they would probably make good bait but be careful in Alabama
    the possession law applies even for bait. Also if your state has a minimum
    length limit they can get you for that. You can trap bluegill no bigger
    than your thumbnail but you better not have more than 50.(possession
    limit). Might better check your game and fish laws for your state.
    P.S. Welcome to BOC

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Better yet they are a game fish in Missouri and can not be used for bait. Why not put a small flathead in there. Although that would not be good for the pond in the long run. I guess then you could try and catch and take him out. If you do the flathead thing don't put more then one in there.

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I don,t see why they wouldn,t work,but here in PA it would be illegal unless you had a receipt from a dealer proving where you got them.Even then I wouldn,t be so sure.If the pond has bass,it probaly has bluegill too.Why not fish for them and use them for bait?They,re a lot easier to catch and easier to keep alive and transport.:eek:oooh::big_smile:

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    you can use them for bait in kansas if there the right size but i choose not to because i dont wand to argue over were i cought it ect. with the gw. 1 mr flat will do a number on them

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Cant use Largemouth for bait here because its a game fish, there are a lot of good baits out there.

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Pretty much what some of the guys have said, check your state and local regs regarding the use of LMB. If it's legal, then by all means, use them. They make great cut bait.:wink:

8. jer__man

jer__man New Member

State:
    Kingwood Texas
    Ol Mr Whiskers doesn't care if it's a largemouth, smallmouth, crappie or another cat; they'll eat it. But Ol Mr Game Warden might have a problem with it. Game fish are illegal in Texas to use for bait. But you might think about grinding some up into chum, I'm not sure if that would be considered bait or not. :0a36:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    In my experience, bass do not work good in the spring. But in the summer, it's a different story. I catch my biggest flatheads of the year using legal sized largemouth and smallmouth bass in shallow water.

Just remember, bass are members of the sunfish family.:wink:

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use them 4 to 7 inches long where legal they are deadly for flatties, half of our state has a size limit the other half doesnt. here you can use game fish for bait as long as it is caught with rod and reel unless there is a size limit.

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I have a quick question, why is it that there are different regulations for the size limits for the Bass that you keep however you can buy Bass Minnows at the bait shop???

12. dburkhead

dburkhead New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I could be mistaken but at the one place I've seen around here with live minnows for sale"bass minnow" doesn't appear to mean "small, fingerling, bass" but rather minnows of a size "appropriate" to catch bass (similarly "crappie minnows" are a smaller size minnow aimed at catching crappie).

13. HOKIEFISHER

HOKIEFISHER New Member

State:
    Halifax, Va
    I've used them for cut bait some last year they worked pretty good the only reason I used them was because I didnt have time to catch bait and you can get a LOT of cut bait of a 2# bass.