Largemouth Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by creek_fisher88, May 16, 2006.

1. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What is the best cover to find big largemouths??

2. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have found that i find more largemouth bass along rocky shorelines or fallen trees, stumps, and brush. If you try this, please tell me if it works.

3. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Dude ne sort of cover theyll basically hidein around where ifish... Best spots are weed beds and logs/stumps and shady areas. Every lake is different but open water casting will basically get u no where with bass fishin (debatable but bare with me here) Go with some weedless lizards aroudn spring and weeless worms... (they work great because lizards are predators to bass eggs). But mostly weedbeds are where they like to hang out.

4. LarryS

LarryS New Member

State:
    Clinton,Il
    Any place where they can ambush some bait will hold Bass. Weedline. RipRap, Bridge Pillings, Dock's Etc.....

5. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    If you want to catch one, simple, hook a shiner thru lips, hang him under a bobber and tow him around slowly. if there is one of those fish in the lake he'll grab it! simple and works everytime!

6. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    bass love cover,like a dog they feel more comfortable knowing nothing can sneak up on them. this time of year throw a lizard or maybe a crankbait that looks like a bluegill since these two eat bass eggs.if throwing a lizard i like a carolina rig. when throwing a crankbait make sure you have one that will go deep enough to bounce it off the cover. this will trigger a reaction strike.a square lipped bait works best around wood or rock cover. any questions ,i'll be glad to help if i can. good luck and always think ambush points when bass fishing.
    matt

7. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    I like fishing weedbeds or in alot of stumps in shallow water for bass.

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I caught my largest largemouth next to a dock. I was using a wild shiner. It is my avatar (picture washed out because I took a picture of that picture with my crappy digital camera). It weighed 10 pounds and I was only 11.

9. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    I sometimes look for structure but mostly for hydrilla (floating weeds ontop of water) when bass fishing, they look the shade and protection it gives.

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Tim,

:0a27: with all of the members on this one. Remember "COVER" is the key thing & any area where they can ambush prey (Without any thing sneaking up on them).

You may want to give points & eddies in rivers a try.

:0a26:
    Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

11. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    I personally prefer throwing a topwater lure called the "topknocker" under low hangin trees. It seems like they are just sitting there waiting for anything to fall out.

12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The lakes around here are pretty much weed choked, so not many lures will work. I have found a few topwater lures that are completely weedless I can pull across the tops of the weedbeds. These work wonders. I usually use the frogs, but a weightless rubber worm works well too (they think it is a snake).

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    :big_smile: :lol: :eek:oooh: Why don't you consult with the BOCs premier **** expert; "DOCTOR MELLON":lol: :big_smile: :roll_eyes:

14. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    hi guys can u help me out this might sound stupid but here it is I have heard of using plastic worms and have heard they work but i need help rigging them up where do i place the hook how big of a hook, how do i texas rig them. any tips in fishing these plastic worms?

15. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is a web site that has pictures showing how to rig a texas rig plastic worm:
    http://www.catcherman.com/features/rigging/texasrigging030602sportmn.htm

I use a 1/0 hook with a 7" worm usually. You can go up to a 5/0 with your 14" worms, but that's going for trophy fish. Best place to use these is around cover, usually logs, sticks, etc. I use them in a local lake that has a lot of weeds, but even though the hook doesn't catch the weeds, they still wrap around the line. A couple of yanks will free the weeds, and often that will be when the fish hits.

Plastic worms are usually fished with a very slow retrieve, stopping sometimes, twitching sometimes. A fast retrieve can work too, since they look like a running snake then.

16. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Thanks a lot wats ur personal best using this rig with wat color and type of worm works best for u?

17. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't really gone for anything big in bass fishing, but I did manage a 5# a long time ago.

Biggest bass I have caught was on a live bluegill while catfishing.

I use just about any kind of worm, but color depends a lot on the conditions. The worse the conditions (cloudy, dark, discolored water, etc), the darker the lure.