Largemouth bass? I need tips to catch them. help!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 27, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Guys I have been to this big lake that is prolly oh i dont know but its big it has some weeds on the shoreline that are more like twigs and the water is stained. its supposedly stocked with channel catfish, bluegills, crappie, and bass but i cant seem to catch anything. not even perch wich are also in there. I need some tips to catch the bass and the channel cats. thanks.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The first rule is you have to fish where the fish are at. Because the structure looks like it would hold fish don't mean they are there. Temperature may be way off, may be no bait fish in that area, water conditions may not have sufficient oxygen. It is easy to catch bass. They are one of the most stupid fish swimming. You put a bait or lure in front of their nose and they will hit it... they just have to recognize that it is food. Thats why bass fishermen have one tackle box for crank baits, one for soft baits, one for worms and four or five different poles rigged out to catch the bass. (Kinda makes you wonder which one has lost their senses-fish or fishermen). Cats on the other hand don't care if it looks like food, they'll bite it first and if it is good, they'll eat. Otherwise they spit it out. Generally only need 1 tackle box for cats. And it only holds the basic of hooks, lines and sinkers.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Isn't this the same question with a different title? Whats the name of the lake? have you tried different areas/ different times?

4. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico

yes sorry one was supposed to be for channel cats and the other for bass sorry. Is that against the rules or something? cuz i dont wanna break any rules.

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    you're fine...whats the name of the lake? is the water real sandy or real clear? Are the shores rocky or like beaches. At what times of the day are you fishing? These are all important things to know. Let us know some more details and you'll get a lot of help.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The easiest way to catch bass is with large bass minnows under a float or slip cork. I see bass anglers throwing all kinds of spinner baits and crankbaits all over the place and I can jerk bass out of the water with large bas minnows all day long!!!

Of course, that is not the way your "supposed to catch bass!!!"

:lol:

7. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Bass fishing,? i can help you with. Um really depends on where you fish water temps, water color, and a hole bunch of stuff shad color crank baits

Personal best on these baits...

Summer/Fall :

(Rapala TN shad or
    http://www.fishingbig.com/fishing_tackle/lures/rapala_lures/rapala_shallow_shad_rap_12g_9cm_s.html) Black and Blue jigs(http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=74328&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=8&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=browse)
    With a blue trailer(Pork skins trailer)
    And at night a berkley power crawl Brown in color

Spring:Bass Will be on the nest starting from Late march to Early may Depending on area and warmth and fronts and etc....

Jerk baits (slow rolling it)
    Zoom lizard (texas rig) pumpkin seed
    or the Tn Shad or the black and silver shad rap

8. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I'm going to have to correct the false statement that was made about why bass fisherman have five rods rigged up to catch "most stupid" fish swimming. I can start off by changing " most stupid" to most bad@$$, that makes the sentence a little more true. As for having five rods, it is because bass have different patterns just like all other fish. Say you start at sun-up. You may throw topwater, thats one rod. Now a couple hours later the sun is up and it is hot. So you find some sort of structure, like timber or laydowns. You may flip a jig/pig, thats the second rod. If the structure isn't producing too well, maybe you want to try to fish a creek channel. You may try a deep diving crankbait, thats 3 rods, or a carolina rig, thats 4 rods. If that doesnt produce well, maybe you want to fish some docks, so you use a texas rig, thats 5 rods. Maybe that won't produce either, so you try to fish weedlines. When fishing weedlines you could use the jig, the tx rig, from the previous rods, or a shallow crankbait, thats 6 rods, or a stickbait, thats 7 rods, or a spinnerbait thats 8 rods, or maybe even use the topwater you used earlier in the day. Having all of these patterns shows that bass are a complicated fish to catch, just like a lot of other fish. And they should not be shunned upon just because people are jealous of the nice boats used to catch them, and because they are a better market right now than any other fishing on television.

9. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That has got to be one of the most biased OPINIONS i have seen on here. Plus if you were to read what you have written you would understand how you dont make any sense. You have explained that bass fisherman have all these different tactics, Correct. But at the same time calling bass a stupid fish. Where do you get your research there. That is so untrue. Then you go on to say how, cats dont care what it looks like, they will bite anyways. This doesnt make them sound like such an intelligent fish either. Sounds like you were just try ing to stir up some aggrivation. Bass are not a stupid species, if they were how could the sport of bass fishing be worth more money than any catfishing could ever be. I am not bashing catfishing at all, more or less defending bass fishing here. And if you doubt it, I would love to fish against you sometime with the attitude about bass fishing

10. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    get u some sinking minnows by GULP and some plastic worm hooks and ur set

11. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would try some sinko's or zoom horny toads by the vegetation.

12. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    first of all,I've found that bass like cover such as sticks in very intense sunlight with the temp. about 87 in order to shade themselves.Or the bass can either go deep in that sunlight.For tryin to catch the bass in the sticks use a heavy weedless jig with some or no kind of trailer. I would suggest fairly heavy tackle and braided line for that type of structure fishin.Oh yeah, if you see floating grass and weeds along the shoreline cast into those.Catch a big one

13. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree full heartly. Bass Are far from stupid. Have you ever flipped a lizard or a plastic fineese worm and had it rigged wrong? Well if you have you'll notice that the fish won't hit it right. Now ask yourself Why, Because it doesn't look or act right. The fish then see the bait not acting right and nothing, Why do you think the bills on crank baits are designed the way they are? Why do you think that powercrawls look like Crawls? Simple if the fish doesn't (keyword here) "Think" the bait looks or acts right it will not hit it. As for just putting the bait in front of the fishes nose....LoL...That is Really wrong Sometimes Bass just do not hit. Sometimes when i use to go out. The day was perfect about 70 degrees no fronts moving in Brometer perfect all the cows where standing up and nothing not even a hit with all 19 tackle boxes thrown at them.Im not really tring to be a smart @$$, but what that guy said was wrong and i just want to set it straight.

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    I Totaly agree with "WylieCat" on this one.

When I go Ba$$ fishing, that's the only thing that I whould do, the only other thing that I may do, is flip for them with a soft plastics (Senkos or Crawdads) - But "they have to be in the area that your fishing in" & that pretty much goes for all fish.
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Bass are apperantly very illusive creatures!!!
    There are people out there that have to go to extremes to catch these critters, LOL!!!
    First off, they say you have to have a 40,000.00 flat top boat, a 35,000.00 truck (to pull the boat), 5 different tackle boxes(with 1000.00 dollars worth of tackle in them), 3 different action rods @ 300.00 each!!! Not to mention the wardrobe you will have to buy to look cool doing it, LMAO!!! That comes up to 80,000.00 before the wardrobe, to catch ONE GREEN CARP!!!!
    Then you will have to start snubbing you catfishing friends to make yourself look good in front of you GREEN CARP fishing friends, now is that what you want to do, LOL!!!
    Are you sure you want to go after a fish that is this much trouble to catch, ROTFLMAO!!!

16. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would try minnows along deeper edges (mark baitfish and the thermocline). Fish them below a bobber or jig them, but whatever u do, fish them slow. Bass are a colder water fish, just like crappie. If you are fishing afternoon you definately need to fish slow. early morning or late evening, speed your presentation up and go a little shallower.

I agree that bass are not stupid but I do not think they are the brightest either. One reason why bass are thought of hard to catch is because of the stigma that you can not use live bait for bass. It is hard to make a piece of plastic look like a real swimming shad. But it's not hard to make a live shad look like a shad. If you get on the fish and try live bait you will see that bass bite as readily as any crappie or bluegill. I'm not knocking the sport at all, it's very intense and I wish I could pull those brutes in like KVD and them do. But it seems to me that the fisherman refuse to use the gear (live bait) that will perform the best (not in all applications!) and then say its the fish being smart. Maybe it's just the fisherman being dumb? Just a thought...

17. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    The reason Most bass fisher don't use live bait because unlike catfish tournies its illegal to A)Troll or B) use live bait, yes live bait will always be on top of artifical baits, But i like the challenge of taking that plastic worm and making it act like a worm.

18. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I understand that about tournament bass fisherman. But how many do tournaments? 10 percent? I enjoy bass fishing, but if the bite is slow I will not hestitate to throw on a shiner or real night crawler. I might regret this one day though, when I make The Classic :smile2:

19. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    More like 70%. Even the Guys or ladies without boat Tournie. In the Fayette co. bassmasters the people that didn't have boats where paired with boaters. I said i agree that live bait will always be on top of artifical in most cases....I.e nesting bass don't feed while on the nest but they do kill strikes to crush the egg eating blue gill or lizards and spit it back up. There you most do site fishing to put the live blue gill on top of the nest but large and smallies alike appaul lizards they will come off the nest to kill a lizard

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

JW, I've seen catfishermen that spent just as much and King fishermen that spent much more. The bottom line here is, if you got it I aint gonna stand in your way of spending it.
    You know deer hunters spend a ridiculous amount of money to hunt nothing more then a brown goat. So be it, its their money.

I personally take any attack on bass fishermen personal because of the following.
    I started out bass fishing and learned alot more from bass fishing that carries over to other species then any other species I have fished for.
    If it wasnt for the bass fishermen that have the money and are willing to spend the money for their passion there wouldnt be the state of the art electronics we have today.
    Outboard engines wouldnt have progressed to the point they have.
    Fishing rods wouldnt be as advanced as they are in materials and construction.
    We wouldn't have the advencement in fishing line technology we have today.
    Reels wouldn't be of the quality we find basicly anywhere we shop for our sporting goods.
    And the boats available today for most any type of fishing would not be available today. Case in point, Ranger boats.
    The owner of the thread asked a question pertaining to how to catch bass and channel cats in a lake he fishes, not why bass fishermen spend more money then you do to fish.