LARGEMOUTH BASS FOR BAIT

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KATTERMAN, Sep 7, 2009.

1. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    i have been using mostly gills for bait,but they are hard to come by,with out having to drive 25 miles to get them.i have a pond close by that is over stock with bass,i can take a grasshopper and catch one about 6" long everytime i throw out,thinking about trying a few for bait has anyone ever tried largemouth bass for bait

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Up here in Ohio where I fish, alot of us local guys use alot of Large and smallmouth for bait. They really produce well. By the looks of that flat in your pic I wouldnt be afraid to even use bigger bass up to 14 and 15 inches. You get a fish on you know its gonna be big!

3. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    they will work just as good if not better then bluegill, some people actually chose them over bluegill. my opinion... live bullheads or carp 4-8inches work better then bass or bluegill anyday!

4. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I personally have never had any luck on them. But my buddies have had pretty good luck on them.

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah they'll work just fine. Here in Indiana though, they gotta be at least 12 inches to be legal for use.

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    got a 12 and 17 1/2 this year on bass.

7. mulemann

mulemann New Member

State:
    MISSOURI JEFFERSON CITY
    Its not legal to use gamefish for bait in Missouri

8. bvomark

bvomark Well-Known Member

State:
    Bartlesville, oklahoma
    While it is legal to use legally caught game fish in Oklahoma, I wouldn't use bass for bait anywhere there is a length limit. I have thought about using them myself, but on Copan there is a 14" minimum length.

9. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    thank you guys for the input,i guess i will give them a try,will post if i have any luck with them

10. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Kansas has a statewide length limit of 15" on all black bass but I think it is legal to us smaller fish if they are taken from private property, but good luck proving you did that to a game warden:smile2:.

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    they should work well, in a lot of states that is why the bass fisherman want flat heads killed/thinned out because they destroy the bass population. but they are illegal in most states so check the regs. i would hate to see you get in trouble.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    They work great!

I have caught most of my 20lb+ flatheads this year on largemouth and smallmouth bass.

13. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    here in oklahoma we can use them if u catch them with rod & reel but not if you get them with a seine or throw net