Large Wood Chipper Question

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Salmonid, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey folks, Im getting ready to rent a pull behind commercial grade Vermeer wood chipper to clean up some major fence row clearing I have been working on. Ive cut about 100 small trees, huneysuckle and hawthorne trees from 2-5" in diameter and plan on chipping them up tonight.
    a couple questions for anyone who has ever used one.
    Can I put a board up across the back of my pick up truck rear cab window and shoot the mulch into the back of the pickup bed with out any problems?
    Also I assume Ill want ear plugs and I wear regular glasses, do I need goggles on top of that or does stuff not shoot back out the feeder tube?
    I really dont want to repeat the scene from "Fargo" with body parts getting stuck in the chipper:rolleyes:

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks, Salmonid the lumberjack......

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    .You may already know all of this.READ instructions and safety rules.SHOW EVERY ONE HOW TO SHUT DOWN chipper IN A EMERGENCY!Your needs.Safety glasses or goggles,SHORT SLEEVES and or TIGHT fitting clothes,Gloves.Trim limbs as needed to safely feed into chipper.If you are snagged,BAD NEWS!!As for the board and window.Don,t know.Caution!Easy to overload and break down pickup truck with green or wet wood in any form.Make sure your truck can get out or leave LOADED.Always SHUTDOWN machinery to check,work or do anything at all on it.Keep every one and every thing out of the way.Unknown presence can hurt them or you as you are concentrating on feeding chipper.Even pets.VERY important safety rule.ONLY ONE person to feed chipper.This is where well meaning help can kill you,them or both.All help brings stuff to designated area for one person to feed.NO EXCEPTIONS!Some well meaning people will insist on helping you to a death.You can rotate this these jobs.Luck peewee-williams

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Pee Wee, thanks, good sound advice! The truck is a F250 so Ill watch the weight by watching the tires and bed height. I pick it up in a few hours and will follow up tomorrow with results.

Salmonid

4. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Well... if we don't hear anything from Brother Mellon in the next few days, should we start the search in the mulch pile??? LOL

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well, it looks like Mellon and my mother in law are safe for now, late yesterday the wife calls and says how poor we are after balancing the checkbook so she says she wants to save the 100 bucks rental and have me burn it all. Which is fine except in 3 hrs last night I got only 1/2 of all of it moved the 3-400 yards over 2 electric fences and a swampy area out to the burn area ( I have a Burn permit and need to burn in this area to be legal in my county) What a job that was....and Im only halfway done. It will take a full 8-10 hrs to burn this pile plus after having the local police and fire department show up durring last weeks burning session, ( dont ask) I need to be good and keep my burn pile down to 5 ft by 5 ft ;)

Now, I have better plans for the Mother in Law, Ill put her in the car and sink them both into my pond,the one thats half way being built, (12 ft deep) feed the cats, structure from the car, no more headaches etc. :rolleyes:

Mellon on the other hand is my mentor so for now he is safe, until he puts up pictures of me over the years getting fatter and balder , then its ON!!:p

Salmonid