Large white Dip Net

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by shadman65, Feb 15, 2008.

1. shadman65

shadman65 New Member

State:
    arizona
    I have been looking for a good size long handled dip net that has white netting. Has anyone come across such an item? I see gray and black but no white or silver. An old friend would use such a net to catch surface shad in open water when a throw net simply scatters the swirl of bait. He would simply ease the net into the water and let the shad swim in and bingo, fresh bait.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've had much better luck using a dip net with wire mesh instead of white fabric netting. I had one that collapsed like a fish basket, but after 25 years or so, it finally rusted away; I replaced the wire mesh with 1/2" hardware cloth. It works as well, but doesn't collapse, so storage is more of a problem. But it was a matter of a couple of bucks for the hardware cloth, or over $35 for a new wire mesh net. I use mine for dipping shad that are running in current alongside concrete walls. For open water, I'd give serious thought to a large (8'-10') diameter net with as large a mesh as possible for the size shad you're after; also, I'd get a quality net with additional lead. The larger mesh and extra lead will cause the net to sink faster, giving the shad less time to escape.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kens TBC Bait Shop at Kentucky Dam sells the white net for catching shad, that you ask about. They also haave the replacement netting also.