Large Warmouth

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by shelbygt1979, Jun 25, 2008.

1. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Anyone ever seen one this big I will include a pic someone let me know if this is not a warmouth. It weighed 1.10:eek:oooh: and the KS record is 1.11:crazy:.

Caught him last night fishing for bluegill.

I can get a measure of him if anyone wants to know he is swimming in my stocktank I did'nt think he was close to a record.

Attached Files:

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Pretty Cool I tell ya. Keep him at least till I get to see him in person. :big_smile:

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the last few weeks i have been fishing for some big perch, but have not caught any near that size yet. nice perch.

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well whatever it is its a big bait!!!

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Nice catch either way and Great bait also!!! :)
    It doesn't look like the Warmouth that we catch around here. The Warmouth around here AKA Warmouth Bass have the yellow bottom fins, fatter than a gill and a mouth more like a Bass. The owner of the pond stocked them and said they were Warmouth. IMO, It looks like a real good sized gill, thats what we'd call it here. I may be wrong but the Warmouth I've caught look totally different.

This is what we catch that he said were Warmouth that he stocked....

http://www.uaex.edu/wneal/pond_management/images/fishphotos/warmouth.jpg

6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Warmouth have a stout, deep body similar to that of a bluegill or redear sunfish, yet have a large, bass-like mouth. They have a red eye and vary from brassy to dark-olive green and often have a purple tint overall. Broad, irregular dark bars give it a mottled appearance. The soft-rayed portions of the dorsal and anal fins are marked with rows of dark spots. Three or four conspicuous dark stripes radiate back from the eye across to the cheek and gill cover.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]This has a purple tint and a huge mouth like a green sunfish. [/FONT]

If it not a warmouth then What is it?? I caught 5 or so this one being the biggest.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Not sure what it is but its a nice one for sure! It looks kinda like a hybrid Gill to me, JMO. I'd use him to catch a monster Flattie!!!:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

8. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    you should send that pic to the KDWP and see what they say. like you said, the mouth looks a little big to be a bluegill.

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i say put him on a hook and catch a flatie on it :wink::wink:

10. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i think what you have there is what they call a hybrid bluegill.alot of people stock them in ponds and they do get big and fun to catch

11. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
  12. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    here is one of my fav catfish baits,it is a pumpkinseed sunfish.probably one of the prettiest fish to look at here in ks.if you hold them up to the sun you can see through them.they have the most brightest brilliant colors on any freshwater fish ive ever seen.i have only found them in one lake and creek in ks.has anyone else ever caught them?http://images.google.com/images?sou...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

13. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Caleb, We catch them in some lake around here mostly where there are pebble bottoms and not really very big most are 2-3 inches they must have slow growth rates or something I think some around 6-8 inches would be really great bait.

14. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    yeah i dont think they get too big.we had3 or 4 in a 120 gl aquarium along with crappie,smallmouth,largemouth,baby bluecat,baby gar and some green ears and those pumpkinseed beat up on every single fish in there.they ran the tank for sure.they ended up eating the eyeballs of the crappie and killing them:smile2:ferocious lil fish!!

15. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Mandingos first pic is what I have always called a Warmouth. When they are a very good fighting fish on lite tackle.

16. stevev

stevev New Member

State:
    kansas
    Put him on a hook and ask a flathead for his thoughts

17. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    yup i think he would make great flathead bait...:big_smile:

18. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I caught one just like that today. It was HUGE! I dropped him in the basket with the other bait to measure and weigh later. I guess I need to start wiring the basket shut. he got out. Oh well, I know where he lives!:smile2: Caught a couple big blugills too.

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

green sunfish