Large shinners

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by illnoize, May 14, 2006.

1. illnoize

illnoize New Member

State:
    illinois
    How well do large shinners work as a cut bait?

2. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    From all I have read here and what little experience I have is the bigger the bait, usually the bigger the Catfish. Years back I was fishing on a cusins pond and all of us were catching blue gill and some bass. I was bored and took one of the blue gill that I had caught, put it on the biggest hook I had and to my surprise I landed a 13 lbs yellow cat or flat head. We released it and no one has ever seen or caught it since.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Large shiners work better swimming on the hook than cut.

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Daryl, I have been using shiners for catfish for over ten years. I dont use them cut, per say, but I weave them on my hook. They sometimes die immediatly after doing this and at times I have reeled them in after a half an hour and they would still be kicking. The method I use to weave them on the hook is more or less like using them cut. I have caught many small and large cats doing this. It is one of my favorite ways to fish a dam. Vern

MODS PLEASE DELETE THIS POST, SORRY

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Daryl, I have been using shiners for catfish for over ten years. I dont use them cut, per say, but I weave them on my hook. They sometimes die immediatly after doing this and at times I have reeled them in after a half an hour and they would still be kicking. The method I use to weave them on the hook is more or less like using them cut. I have caught many small and large cats doing this. It is one of my favorite ways to fish a dam. I rarely use them live, except below a float. Vern

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Catch More Catfish On Whole Dead Shiners Than I Do The Live Ones. The Live Ones Seem To Attract The Bass Very Quickly.

I'm not Really A Bass Fisherman & If I Catch One On One Of My Jugs, It Has To Be Released Anyhow. Not A Winning Situation In My Eyes:sad2: Elliot

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I think they work better live or fresh dead than cut. I do not think they are as oily as other bait fish.