Large shiners

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bigcatmaniac, Jul 28, 2006.

1. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    do large shiners that are over 4 inches long catch many large fish, if so how should i hook them for optimal hookups.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ethan,

Large shiners are great baits, just make sure you have a way to keep them lively. I havent done very good with them this year, but many will and do.

Paul

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    thanks i really appreciate all of the help that i have gotten from this site.

4. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have caught some large channels on big shiners. I hook them through the tail and let them struggle. The struggling is sort of like a rabbit squealing is to a coyote to a big cat, it draws them in. Location is key. I like to place the big shiners around where a big tree is in the water next to a deep hole.

5. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I saw an article in fish, fur and game Mag they put rock salt in the bait tank and it really improved the quality of the bait, big bait big fish.

6. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Done the same thing by putting rock salt in my breeding tank for my goldfish...... Seems to make them more lively and somehow it seems to toughen their scales..... I don't know why....

Savage308

7. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey yall the salt seems to keep the slim coate on them longer .Iv done that allso.But the dead ones are good cut the tails off and feed um fish heads....

8. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    ive always done well with large shiners. hoohed through the tail or the lips like crappie fishing. dead ones still work but not as well. i thread them all the way on the hook

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    The reason that rock salt works is because it irritates the fishes skin. This causes the immune system to kick into high gear which toughens the scales and creates more slime coat, both naturally defenses to the salt. Rock salt is great to add to bait tanks or to aquariums. But becareful with dosage if you plan on keeping the bait for more than 2-3 days (definately the case with aquariums). Most fish that you will encounter do not need Brackish water (salt water + fresh water). A simple rule of thumb is to stir in 1 teaspoon for every gallon, but a little lower is nice. If you have a way to test pH the best method is to add salt until the pH shifts, then stop.