large shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by malaki, Aug 23, 2008.

1. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    been catching some big ones lately from 7" to 9". is there a certine way to cut them or just chunk it up and hook it?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Jeff! What I like to do is to chunk them out or cut them into 1" wide strips around 5" long. Always leave the tough skin and scales on. When you hook them it makes no difference if you run the hook point into the fleshy part first or the scaled part first, but always leave the hook point exposed and make sure there is no scales on the hook point. Cut Shad; for me, has been a great early and late season bait for me. I have caught some great channel cats on the shad. One thing I wanted to add is, on the strips, is to hook the bait near the top of the strip and let the rest of it hang. Shad bait is tough and will cast great. I like to change baits around every 30 minutes to get the fresh smell in the water. Fresh is better than frozen, but both will work just fine. You can freeze the shad in water. Freezer bags and a vacuum sealer work best. Or try to get as much air out of the bag as possible before freezing them. Some guys will add a little salt to the shad to preserve the toughness of the skin.

Good LUCK and I hope you catch a great one on the bait!!:wink::big_smile:

Hope this helps you!!:0a26:

3. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I slice a little off of thier faces. Basically just the nose. (to shorten it up) then i slice it just behind the gut pocket. I cut into the gut pocket just a little to let out scent, but keep the fiddlers from cleaning it out. I hate cutting up shad right through the gut pocket. You either cast off the gut. or guppies eat it all out. leaving a hollow piece of meat. I hooked a monster cat last year with one of my light rods and could'nt move it! I stopped the fish from running eventually. but I could'nt get it's head turned around to save my soul. Ended up breaking the 20 pound cajun line.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Under what type of conditions are you catching these large shad??

Are you catching them on a jig or cast net?

5. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    gizzard shad in a castnet. thanks for the replies!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    With gizzards ,Jeff. I like to fillet them and use the head with the gut pocket attached ,Minus the gizzard. I like to use the gizzard all by itself.

this can yeild up to six baits per shad.

7. PhattyB

PhattyB New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yes, you can get 3-6 baits per shad, but I seem to have the best results off just the head. Hardly ever use the tail (but I do save them until fishing is over just incase bait gets thin)

I like 4" to 5" Shad. Cut the tail off just after the gut pocket and use the tip of the knife to puncture each side.

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    around these parts we use the whole fish... the bigger the better

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    BIGGER IS BETTER!!!!!:big_smile::smile2::eek:oooh: rollo

10. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Haven't been able to find anything over 3 1/2" this year for some reason.

11. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    We have a 3 pole limit here in Kansas. So, I use the head and 2, 3/4 inch strips with the guts. Although i have had a hard time getting large shad this year.

12. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    SPRING IS THE TIME TO GET LARGE SHAD OFF THE MAUMEE. THEY AVERAGE PROBABLY 15IN AND YOU CAN GET THEM BY THE TON. AFTER THAT ITS KIND OF HIT AND MISS. BEEN VERY BAD RECENTLY FOR BIG SHAD