Large Raw Shrimp.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by fishinpals, Aug 9, 2006.

1. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Going out later to try to catch some big channels. Dip bait works great for them up to 10 lbs. in the lake I'm going to. Have seen some 20 lbers caught on raw shrimp and thought i would give it a try. Anyone else had any good catches on it?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

oh yes shrimp works very well on all types of fish.

3. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    tried it once a couple of years ago but got there to early and the bluegill had a feast. hopefuuly they will be in bed by the time I get there tonight.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

yeah the blue gill love it. I caught my biggest blue gill, 1.09 pounds, on shrimp. Caught seveal catfish at and over 10 pounds. Good luck.

5. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    do you soak or salt your shrimp with anything?

6. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    I don't. I just peel them and thread them on the hook. I've heard of people using garlic salt on them and soaking in kool aid or vanilla.

7. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    shrimp always seems to be a favorite among channel cats there has been lots of nice fish taken on them :smile2:

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Shrimp work well, and some big channels are taken on it. But, I don't bother with the large shrimp, just buy the medium brown raw shrimp at Wally World.

9. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used raw shrimp soaked overnight in garlic powder and vanilla extract on about a half dozen juglines two weekends ago. The only thing that I caught was a good sized carp.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The only way I fish with shrimp is to use fresh large unshelled shrimp.
    If I wanted a garlic flavor I would stick something on a hook real cheap soaked in garlic like chicken livers.

Its a moot point to buy 6 or 7 dollar a pound shrimp only to change the smell of it. It wouldnt be shrimp anymore other then looks.

Rotten shrimp isnt going to do you any good either. You'll always catch more fish on fresh bait.
    I've actually tested this theory in practice with several fellow catfishermen over the years.

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I just use the whole shrimp with a j-hook. I put the hook all the way through and have it come out on the hard part of the tail - leaving the hook slightly exposed. Fish were ignoring it during the spawn and I haven't got around to trying it since the spawn hit. When its shrimp time in the cat season I get great results.

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Raw shrimp is a great bait here in AZ. I have gotten some nice flatheads and channel cats this year..
    I use a 6/0 khale hook.

~ Ain't it great to have a bait that is shaped like a hook?!
    ~A

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    My 2 cents. Large raw shrimp acount for most of my 10+ lb channels evry year. Shell on. And yes it is nice to use a bait that was designed by God for my hook LOL

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I agree with Mark i use the freshest unshell ones I can get:big_smile:

15. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    How about using just the head off of large shrimp?

The reason I'm asking is, a lady I work with go down to Louisiana every couple months and picks up a bunch of fresh shrimp and she cleans them.
    I've though about asking her to save some of the heads, but I didn't know if just the head would do much good?

Would it be worth getting some of the heads?

Ken

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jim: Shrimp is my go to bait when nothing else seems to work. I have no idea if you could catch really big cats on it but I have caught them up to 15# several times and more often catch smaller ones and many. I sometimes inject them with vanilla but don't know if that helps yet. I must try more before making that decision. I use raw, shell on....Good luck

17. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have alot of luck too , always take some with me .

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The large concensus that catfish bait has to permeate of some kind of strong smell good or bad is a false one.
    Subtle smelling cut bream or earth worms catch way to many fish.
    The subtle smell of fresh shrimp has always done good for me. Even the chicken liver has a long track record of being one the best baits right out of bucket and fresh out of the chicken.
    There again, if you want to introduce non natural scents like garlic you would be better off and probally ahead of the game to find a suitable material like a dense sponge to infuse and to rig hooks to.
    It would be alot cheaper and alot more effective then trying to mask an existing natural scent with a new one.

I prefer not to smell like a pole cat while and when I'm through catfishing.
    There is absolutely no need to in the waters I fish.:smile2:

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've Had Good Luck With Shrimp, My Buddy @ The Bait Store Gives Me The Dead Ones. We Caught 8 Last Weekend On Them. Nothing To Brag About But They Fit Well In The Frying Pan:big_smile:

20. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I agree about frest shrimp being best. I've caught a lot of cats on it and it has become my favorite bait. I also agree about God's design to fit perfectly on a hook. Hope all you guys and gals catch a boat load of catfish.:big_smile: