Large mouth bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by kickin_wing, Feb 5, 2006.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Does anyone know about bass fising the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. I need a few tips on how to catch them in cold water because i am going to be in a tournament there in early March. The tournament takes place south of the grand glaze bridge, so if anyone has any pointers on what lures to use and were to fish ill gladly take them.

2. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    I don't know about the Ozarks, but around here in early March it's hard to beat a suspending jerkbait on main lake points. A silverbuddy or jigging spoon will also produce suspending fish over deep water, but might not be a good idea unless your gonna pre-fish the lake a few times before the tourney.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Try something that makes alot of noise like a crankbait, they will be down fairly deep and the retrieval should be slooooooowwwwwwww. If you can find the thermocline that would be an excellent place to start. Just keep an eye on the water temp and bottom structure.

chris

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Guys thanks for the tips. the lake is a pretty deep lake so ill probobly have to use like what you said a deep diving suspending jerk bait. when you say jiging spoon you mean one like the silver minnow type dont you. o and one other thing how do you find the thermocline, will my fishfinder tell me at what depth the thermocline is?

5. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Yep, when I say jigging spoon I'm also referring to minnow/ blade baits. You should probably ask some folks here on the BOC about the lake, if it has a thermocline or not.

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When i use something such as the silver minnow spoon do i stay in one spot and jig it deep or should i slowly troll it deep?

7. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    hey i fish the ozarks alot and during this time they said that most of the bass have been caught on suspending jerk bait and it was worked real slow they said and should be able to find a couple of good ones to come out.
    have fun

8. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was watching a show and they said using a YUM craw bug with a 3/8 ounce BOOYAH jig head worked during cold water times. I didnt know if anyone knew if that would work. The show also said to use a jig with a crawfish as a trailer. The show said to work it really, really slow and i know that is true.

9. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

The Water Is Cold This Time Of Year So Slow Down Way Down A Suspending Jerk Is A Good Pick But I Would Also Try Swiming A Jig Or Drop Shot Type Of Presentation Another Good Bait To Use Is A Senko I Have Caught Them Alot On The Pumpkin Color

10. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Use slow approachesand cast several times over the same area. I prefer drop shot rigs fishing 20-50ft of water. if fish are suspened fish crank baits slowly at the level of their suspension. Fish in colder water move and react slow so fish them accordingly.

One other thing to consider is the spawn. Depending on weather and water conditions the fish could be going into a prespawn that time of year which will mean a more aggressive feeding pattern and once again fish it accordingly.

11. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ill try to use some deep crank baits, deep suspending jerk baits, pig and jigs, and ill move them slow and see what i get. and ill see if i can find some ledges and drop offs to fish by.
    How deep do you think the fish are? 10 -18ft. prolly?

12. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    The thermocline is the zone where water temps drop quicky; in your case the water temp is problay going to raise.

During the summer time the warmest, oxygen rich water stays on top and the cold, dense oxygen free water settles on the bottom and in the middle layer a cool, oxygen rich water is where you get the thermocline.

You will hear people talking about if the lake has turned and this is what they are talking about, the lake usually changes water color too.

chris

13. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Trolling is not usually allowed in tourneys so check the rules. In my experiance spoons and blade baits work best when you can mark schools of bait in deep water and stay on top of them with the trolling motor.

Your success will depend on the water temp and seasonal pattens of the fish and your ability to adapt to the conditions. Just like what was already said, if the fish have moved into a prespawn pattern a spoon will be a poor choice (it's mostly a winter pattern bait), in prespawn conditions I would use "search" baits such as crankbaits and spinnerbaits, once you find fish you may or maynot want to slow down and use worms, lizards, or a drop-shot rig. Tournament fishing is tough, it's not easy putting a pattern together in a few hours and making it produce keeper fish. My best suggestion is the suspending jerkbait, good luck and have fun.

14. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    all good tips! i say drop shot if you can pinpoint the fish

15. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Okie Dokie guys, like you siad i know it is gonna be tough and i may only get 2 or 3 fish the whole day. but ill pre fish there a week or so before the big day and hopefully locate some fish. ill be sure and get back with you guys and tell how the first tournament went.
    :0a31: :0a23:

16. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What do you think about early morning. Around 6 am. The same thing or do you think buzz bait would work.

17. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

i know top waters work around here in the early morning and evening, but it all depends on just how active the fish are. if it is cold and they are hanging deep a lot of the time they won't come to the surface to feed.

18. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info. I am fishing in the Ozark tournament with Kickn Wing.
    We just wanted a few pointers.

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Many people do not realize that the thermocline is not a year round thing. The thermocline forms in late to early summer in deeper water above the hypolimnion layer...or dead water layer that forms below the thermocline...when the water temps and oxygen levels begin to stratify into layers....depending on how much warm weather has been occuring.

Most waters that are 15 feet or shallower have no thermocline. It occurs most generally at 25' or so of depth...and is most generally 6-8' thick.

This topic has the potential to be a VERY lengthy one. If you wish to engage upon more information regarding the thermocline than I am willing to post at this time...check out the website I posted below. It's a very comprehensive description of what you need/wish to know....and details how to understand, find, and utilize the thermocline.

http://www.lakeforktexas.com/Pages/therm.html

20. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the help guys. Any more pointers will be appreciated.