Large Minnows, for Blue Catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by SwiftWater, Feb 10, 2006.

1. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    First off, I've never tried fishing for blues in the winter, or any other fish for that matter. I mainly fish for flatheads. I'm planning to go out this evening and give this winter thing a go. I will be bank fishing on a river, and my bait options for this time of year would be limited to large 3" minnows. Shad would be the best bait, but this time of year I have no access to shad. My question for you folks is, would using large minnows be worth a try?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Swiftwater, until I got a boat, 90% of my cats came from the bank on large shiners and chubs. I will still use them on occassion, when baitfish are hard to find. I say the bait will be effective. The main thing is to fish an area that has fish. That's the hard part from the bank this time of year. If you can fish when the river is running out hard, you will likely have better luck. Vern

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I would suggest you go to the Xtra Large Minnows if the bait stores in your area has them.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use large and extra-large minnows during the winter because throwing the cast net is to risky.

5. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    good luck and tell us how it goes and where u went

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I use shrimp sometimes, it's worth a try.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Blues eat whatever is in their water. I see you are from VA. Last year my brother and I went in the James in Jan. I caught some Brim in a pond on the sunny side the day before. Put them in a plastic bag on ice and used them the next Day. My brother and I caught 11 Blues the next day including one 37 pounds. They like cut Brim.:) :) :) :) :) Good luck. Where in VA are you from?

8. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    Well they seemed to outsmart me today. I used 4” minnows which produced one bite and no cats landed. All in all it was a great day to be on the water and I will try this winter thing again..

Vern, having a boat definitely has it's advantages. I keep telling my wife the finer points of owning a boat and she reminds me i have a canoe. That's all the boat one man could ever need, RIGHT? lol. It's a new year and still no boat. Maybe next year!

Paraguayguy, nice fish in that picture. Using bream never crossed my mind and I will try cutbait next trip. I live just south of Lynchburg..

Thanks

9. h3ohawaii

h3ohawaii New Member

State:
    maryland
    I fish the tidal Potomac and have to admit that ALL of my top 5 blues have chomped on 5-6 inch live chubs.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I caught 2 blues today ( aorund 6 lbs each) on 3" minnows on sauger jigs. Was sauger fishing and it was a good fight in 40ft of water with 10/2 lb line.
    PEte

11. moe

moe New Member

State:
    nc
    I think blues like larger baits, but you may do fine on large minnows. Some of my friends catch the shad in the summer and freeze it. Yeah I know, frozen bait is a dirty word. But it seems to work for them.

moe

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I have find that blues will eat all size baits large or small. I have had blues ocer 20 lbs or chicken hearts and 3" minnows and #1 treble hook loaded with dk. Just watch DH's videos he used maybe 4" of bait and had 65# blue. I have had 20lb blues hit a heart on the fall like a runaway train.

13. John Rogers

John Rogers New Member

State:
    va
    I saw a fellow place a deer heart on his #8 hook just for kicks. A while later he reeled in a fifty pound blue from the James River. If I'm fooling with any hearts its generally slicing them for the frying pan!!!

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya but I get 5lb of chicken hearts for around 3.00 so easy bait and works great if you have kids fish stays out forever.

15. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    swiftwater, this 2 past years I was having the same problem with cathing baitfish in the winter, so I started saving bluegill heads and entrails off fish I caught during the summer. I also froze some skipjacks and that helped a lot. I have had good luck with large shiners too, but they are hard to come by in the winter from my baitshops.

16. Riverdog

Riverdog New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Have any of you guys tried salting down shad in gallon ice cream buckets instead of freezing them?

17. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have used large minnows many times on my trotlinses with great success.

18. moe

moe New Member

State:
    nc
    No does it work? I'm intrested, is it all dried out when you use it?

moe