Large hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Majesticman, May 31, 2006.

1. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I saw some hooks at the local fishing shop today that were about 6 inches long and had a gap of about 3 inches from the shaft to the point and about as thick as a pencil. Anyone ever use them that big? It would definitely thin out the small ones.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I use up to 10/O king kahles but the ones you talkin about sound a little bigger than that.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    ive got two 18/0 trebles have yet to figure out what bait to use on them thinking maybe a whole chicken live with head and wings cut off just before shoveing this large hook up its anal cavity and out the neck of course il need bigger line and maybe a bigger rod and reel as well ...i was told these trebles where used by the water patrol for dragging bodies

4. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looked at some on E-bay and they look like 16/0. The man that owns the shop is asked not the fish in the local catfish tournaments because he always won. I was wondering if this is how he culls the small ones?

5. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Bought Some 16/0 Mustad Circle Hooks Off Of E-Bay But When I Got Them They Didn't Look Like Mustad And They Were Not Very Sharp And You Know That Dull Circle Hooks Are Useless. So Beware And Be Careful What You Buy Off E-Bay, There's Lots Of Phonies Out There, Make Sure You're Buying From A Reputable Seller.

6. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I’ve got some 16/0 Mustad Halibut rigs I picked up in Alaska. They’re circle hooks and fairly sharp. I’m not sure what’s more impressive, the size of the hooks or the 500lb test mono leaders. So far I haven’t found the right “social occasion” to tie one on.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use 12/0 big river hooks for some live bait but it sounds like you are describing what is called a shark hook in florida.

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I use hooks that size all the time for shark. How much were they? If the price is right I will send you some $$$$ to cover the shipping and cost if you ship them here.

9. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    tnkatman.... You are right about that. I am very seasoned on ebay and I still get burned 2 or 3 times a year.

FishMan........ That is it....Shark Hooks.

Gator..... I hate to list the auction since we have sponsor but they were about $1 to $2 each plus shipping of $3 for 10. The higher priced ones were good sellers. Just search shark hooks.