Large fishing poles - Just my opinon

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by blindfly69, Jul 12, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well i know you all love fishin but sometimes with the rods i see people usin im surprised they can even tell when a fish is on one of them bad boys. lol for instance my cousin just got a 14ft big cat rod from some company whose name i cant recall. but he caught a 4ft gar on it and the thing barely bent!! lol...idk i just think that sometimes people use WAY too much rod for the fish they're catching....i use 7 ft rods and i can feel the fight way better than i could with a 10 ft rod....why the huge surf rods for 10lb fish???

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    A couple of my friends that use 10' and 12' rods use them for the casting distance.They can definitely fling it a lot farther than I can with my 9' I'd say people use them for several reasons.My main reason for not using them is they are a lot harder to pack,especially in a small car.I like my 8' and 9' rods.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I will use 12 footers at the dam and when having to cast a "country mile". The rods I have a diawa beefstick and powertip have sensitive tips and a lot of back bone but I also have diawa sealine 5050 live liners on them to freespool bait.

4. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i'll admit casting distance is nice to have at dams but i almost laugh when somebody busts out a 14 footer with 80lb test just to hook up with 3 or 4lb channel cats

5. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I run 7'6" to 8 footers for bank fishing. IMO it's about the perfect compromise. I feel my hooksets and control are better than anything shorter and I've seen guys with longer (9' plus) have problems with controlling fish near the bank.

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    uhh ooooopss....i accidentally put this in the reel review......lol

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I want a rod between 7 and 8. No need for anyhting else for me. I like it strong, but with a soft tip. The only way I could justify a 14' rod would be if for some reason i needed to cast 4 miles.

8. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    7 foot is about all ya need around here but i have seen people at the local river with monster rods and think to myself'ya'll gonna fish or reach out and crack em on the head?":roll_eyes:

9. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i agree with john on this one the 8 and 9 footers are way easier to pack.i also have a few 7 foot rods that i like.i fish for flatheads and i can have fun fighting the fish that are smaller and have enough power to pull in a 40 pound fish.

10. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Nate in my fishing holes we don't get to choose the size of fish we catch I like 7 1/2-8ft but for proper presentation I might go 12-14 I use my bait clickers to signal a bite because when I can I put out so many poles I would get dizy watching them all the time.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I use strickty 7'6 ft rods..1 piece

12. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well the other day i was fishing a little low head dam with the water about a foot deep so you could easily wade it with no danger....and some lady showed up with a 14ft surf rod and 5 ounce sinkers and we were only catchin fish that were like 3lbs at the most lol.......and i was usin an ultralight

13. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I like the smaller rods also. My favorite rod is a sixfoot six extra heavy power St. Croix. I bought my biggest rods not to long ago an eight foot ugly stick and i like that too but anything bigger than that would be overkill.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Let me add that I rarely use these freshwater fishing. I use my 7 footers and smaller 99 percent of the time.

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I actually am gonna disagree with you on this one. I use a St.croix Wild river for cattin'. It is an 11'1/2" light line pole,(4-10lb) meaning it is very much like a very large fly pole. It actually is a steelhead rod; it's the one with the sliprings for any reel spinning or fly. The pole is long but not as "beefy" as some. I love the fight on long rods. You can feel everything & it's like pulling in a shark!
    :embarassed:

16. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i've never heard of these light line poles....i'll have to look into them

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Longer rods do have a their place and can Be a valuable tool. first is casting distance this can be an advantage not only from the bank but from a boat as well. I have a couple of fishing buddys that use 10-12' rods and when fishing from the boat we cast out the shorter casting rods first and then launch the surfrods over the top of them. This allows us to get more lines in the water w/o getting tangled up.

You can also keep a lot more line out of the water and This allows you to use less weight. less line for the current to catch. the longer rod allows you more leverage on the fish and with A little practice you can land fish easier as well.

And whats all this about surf rods being hard to transport, most 12' rods are two equal 6' sections.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    My 9' rod fits perfect in the trunk.Anything over that won't fit and has to be up in the back seat.My little car won't hardly hold over a 10' without having to lay down the seat and make whoever is in the back uncomfortable and less room for coolers,buckets and everything else.

19. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ......john what county is flatwoods in?? i've never heard of it before.....

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The length of a rod has nothing to do with it,s stiffness.I have A 20 inch and 2 12 foot ultra-lite rods.I have 20 foot rods that are rated for 12 pound line and some for 25 pound line.They all have their place.Mostly for reach or casting distance.At times a very stiff rod comes in handy if you have to reel in and lift heavy fish where a net or graft is not a option.I used mine for reaching over logs and such.I love a very long rod for pier,dock,jetty or bridge fishing.With a 20 ft.pole you can often land many fish that would tangle in the pilings and such.People use what they have,and what they like.It is far better to have too much,than a broken"not enough".Many people are doing the best that they can with what they have.We all have to learn.I was taught to NEVER run down or make fun of someone Else's gear.Most times it is the best that they can do with what they know and what they can afford.The very best fisherman that I ever had the honor to watch was a little dried up old man with coke bottles,coffee cans and a hand carved hand reel that he used for reels to fish for bait and larger fish.The few times that I saw him he consistently out fished every one else out there.He put thousands of dollars worth of tackle to shame every time that I saw him.I believe that fishing is far more in the heart than the equipment.Many a poor man,woman or child with a cane or sapling pole and a spark plug weight has put many a expensive rig to shame.peewee-williams