Large fish on depth finder

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by Zing, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Went out on the Tn Tuesday, out of Savannah just throwing some jigs looking for a few stripes, came across a large group of big fish on depth finder in a hole 40'. I thought about taken some catfish gear but left it at home, never do that again. I mean this looked like a demo shot on the depth finder. I wish I had one of those side view models. I'm planning on going back and check it out, this time with the right gear.

2. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sounds awesome. I just got a new lowrance hds-5, I am waiting fir one of those days. Good luck with those big ones!

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Richard this time of year it could have been catfish. But being I think I know were you were talking about. I bet it was Spoon Bill's. They fill those holes up this time of year. Also on the SI units they look cool.
    Best of luck on the next fishing trip.
    Pete

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is about the time of year A buddy and I were on the ohio and we seen schools of very large fish stacked up behind the drops. They looked to be in the 50+ pound range. All of them. I was sure they were catfish. I was excited I could feel the sinkers bouncing off they're heads as I dropped my rig over the drop-off. Could'nt get one to hit. Then I was told they were probably spoonbill. Left me wishing I had some snagging hooks!

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Found them like that today.:embarassed: And like you no hits. LOL Did put 4 blues in the boat.:wink: different hole. The fish were in there. But the guy I had fishing with me could not fish my style of fishing.:eek:oooh: So moved on and left bitting fish.:sad2:
    pete

6. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ive never caught a spoonbill, that would be something new and fun. I'll keep you updated. Pete how were you fishing ? Do spoonbills take cut bait?

7. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    I've never fished for Spoonbill myself, but I'm pretty sure that the only way you can catch them is to snag them. They are plankton eaters, so I wouldn't think they'd take bait.

8. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Zing I have found big gar grouped up like that before around Savannah. They will bite for sure and man what a fight. There is almost always 1 good sized cat around those gar too. I am not sure why but I sat on a hole once last year with alot of big marks and caught a 60lb blue and a gar that was probably close to 5ft long and numerous big bites that I kept missing. I sat on another hole like that a couple weeks ago and caught a 31lb blue and then kept getting those drag burning bites. I guess those cats are eating the gar left-overs or something.
    Pete if you'll put me on some biting fish I promise to adapt to your style:smile2:. Zing good luck to you and hopefully those will be cats in that hole.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Richard I was at Shiloh water depth was 45ft. Fish were holding on the drop there. Controlled drifting using shad guts. close to the bank. I marked the spot but did not save the waypoint.:embarassed: I do think theres a X on the side of the boat there. That should get me back on that spot.:wink:
    I have caught around 50 spoon bills on cutbait, shad guts, worms and liver. Each one was in the mouth. But I think it was just luck where they were sucking in water And my bait was in it also.:wink:
    Pete

10. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'll give it a try, beats setting at home and hopefully I can get my son to go with me. I got as visual and pretty sure I can find it again. It is just out from the crooked tree in line with the start of the tree line up stream.