LARGE FISH KILL

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA RIVER TALK' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    A friend of mine called me today, and it seems that a coal mine or some other industrial accident has happened up near Morgantown, WV and a very large number of Cats, Muskie, Bass, Carp and many other fish are dieing in a river that him and i used to fish. i am headed up there in a few minutes after i rest up, and i will post the name of the river when i see it to be true and not a cruel joke. it is a small river that not a lot of people fish and is a well kept secrete for muskie fishing, so i hate to post to much right off.

in his report though he said that the carp, muskie and other fish are concentrating at the feeder creeks which are to dry for them to get up into right now. he said it looks like the steelhead trying to run, but it is multiple species. it is a real shame to, that was a great river and if it is ruined then it will be 20 years or so before it will hold the number and size of fish that it contained until now. One of the holes he looked at from the road held over 50 dead fish at the surface.

2. BigWes

BigWes New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thats horrible. Hearing things like this really make me sick to my stomach. There arnt many decent spots around here to fish anyway so that makes it even worse. Keep us posted.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    This one??

BLACKSVILLE, W.Va. -- It's an environmental whodunit.
    At least 60 fish were found dead recently in Dunkard Creek near Blacksville. The state Department of Environmental Protection is looking for the cause but hasn't found any answers.

Investigator Mike Carico says it's an unusual case.

Carico says the DEP has investigated everything from a natural process to industrial waste. But investigators haven't been able to find the source of the problem.

Until the source is found, Carico says the DEP can't identify a solution.

http://wvgazette.com/News/200909040267

...Cosco described the kill as large, citing reports that between 80 and 100 dead fish have been found along the stream from about Pentress, W.Va. downstream.

The agencies have contacted coal mines and other industries, including natural gas drillers, in the watershed to determine if they have been doing anything differently in regard to their discharges, she said. "We haven't cleared anybody yet," Cosco said.

Betty Wiley, president of the Dunkard Creek Watershed Association, said judging from information she has received, the kill is "massive."

She said she inspected the stream herself in two locations and saw dead fish. At one spot near the Buckeye Church on West Virginia Route 39 she counted about 20 dead fish floating and submerged in the water.
    People have been describing the color of the water as having a "slightly reddish" tint to it, she said. What she observed, she said, "was not really red, but it didn't look right either."...

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Print/09-12-Dunkard-fish-kill

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the creek i was speaking of was dunkard and i drove out there today on my way home....it is terrible man, we netted 5 muskies and carried them up the feeder creeks and released them, i did't catch any cats or i woulda done the same thing with them...

it really is a shame, the fish are congrigating at the mouths of the feeder creeks and trying to swim up in there, where the fresh water is. 2 of the muskies were in excess of 45 inches.

when i was in college, that was my get away. some of my fondest memories were on that creek and now it will be another 20 years before it will be able to get the fish back like they were. its a bad day for wildlife...

5. BigWes

BigWes New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Be careful transplanting fish from one water to another. Not only is it illegal, but if they died of something natural like a disease or parasite rather than a spill, you could spread it to another stream. Look at what has happed with Dydamo (rock snot) in trout streams around the state.

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have read from another source that it is mostly because of low water flow allowing the normal toxins in that section of river to accumulate to the point the fish are dying.Same source says the fish seem to rebound but this is the worse he has seen it.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the creek we helped them into, litterally they were trying to swim up into it on their own, we just moved them up about 25-30 feet into a deep hole so they would live. but you are 100% right, you shouldn't transport fish.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    here are a few pictures of some of the muskies that where killed, a friend of mine sent me them. they are big muskie fisherman, if they send some with cats ill post them too....really ashame....

Attached Files:

9. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the way i understand it, all those fish were found dead in that same hole... so it is really hard to say how many died in total....

Attached Files:

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Looks like that USED to be a good spot to fish.

Takes a while to get muskies that large I hear,,, it just plain sucks.

I live right close to some good musky water, one of these days I am going to have to give those critters a shot.

11. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I am so disgusted...so sad to our natural enviroment! Thank you for the report. We need a tea party against enviromental stupidity...

12. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Amen to that Robert.

13. BigWes

BigWes New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Talked to a guy last night from up there. He claims that the creek is full of salt water. Said that they were pumping saltwater into a well or something to clean the mud out and it burst through somewhere into the creek. I havent seen any proof yet, but it sounds reasonable.

14. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    I doubt that anyone will actually get the blame for such a horrible incident. I have friends who hit the Dunkard for Muskies in the spring. I sent them the news. They will not be very happy. One friend is a state cop so maybe he can do some investigating on the matter. If i hear anything from him I will post it.