Large Catfish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Moallen, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Moallen

Moallen New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hello all,
    I see these pictures of all the catfish you catch and wonder what you do with them? DO you eat them or let them go? What are the best ones to eat? Are there places that you are not suppose to eat the fish (mercury)?
    Allen

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Allen, rule of thumb for me is to release all that I can (B'Cuz I want to catch them again when they are bigger):tounge_out: . I do have a couple of neighbors that ask me to keep some for them but unless its a bad hook up:embarassed: ....if it's over 10 lbs it swims. When I keep eaters for them they are usually between 2-7lbs. As far as a problem eating fish here at the LOZ, never heard of any.:wink:

3. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Allen,
    Great to see you on here again tonight. If you like fish clean them and eat'em. I personal like flatheads the best, but that is just me(but their all good). And you can find a lot of good recipes on here to fix'em. As far as the mercury, not alot I can tell you about that. I've heard that pregant woman and small children are at a higher risk, and certain water ways have higher levels.
    Denny

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Mo on my guide service we CPR anything over 5 lbs now. I have always said the best eaters will be 1 to 4 lbs.

5. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I havent kept but 2 or 3 fish in the past year ,you never know when the one you throw back might be the record one you catch in 20 years ,my opinion is if you like to eat fish eat crappie and practice cpr on cats.

6. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I release anything over 10 lbs.
    I never keep more than 2 , one gallon zip lock bags of fillets in the freezer(last me maybe a month or so). Which means basically the majority of the time, I release them all back.
    I'm lucky enough that I do not have to fish in contaminated water that has eating restrictions/warnings. Will fish them on occassion in tournaments, but those are all catch and release anyway.

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Allen, I am another one that beleives in turnin em loose to fight for my grandkids and their grandkids. If I do keep a mess I dont kill anything over 6 or 7 pounds. Once in a while I will give a friend a mess but dont make a habit of it. I say the Mo. River is one of the worlds longest stringers. I dont need a hundred pounds in the freezer. Tastes better fresh anyway. Especially in the cold water. Bob

8. bamacatman

bamacatman New Member

State:
    alabama
    hi guys just my opinion but I prefer 5to 7 ounce fish to me they taste better.they r not as tough either

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Most people here keep the smaller ones if they want a dinner.I keep a few big ones once in a while,but mainly keep crappie.Do what you want as long as it is legal....don't let others tell you what to do.Thats your choice.

10. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    When the fish start hitting good in the spring I fish hard and keep everything I catch under ten pounds or thereabouts until I figure I have enough to last me the whole year. And we eat a lot of fish in this house. But once I have enough then I don't keep anymore of any size the rest of the year. I don't catch tons of fish over ten but when I do they always go back in the river just as quick as I can get them there. For years I used to keep the bigger fish too but decided a few years back to start turning the big ones loose. Just feels right to me.As far as which ones are the best eating, you just need to try em all and see for yourself, everyone has their favorite. They are all good !

11. Bait Eater

Bait Eater New Member

State:
    southwest missouri
    I fish for blues and only keep the ones 20 to 24in long you know 3 to5lbs that is if I keep any at all.

12. Moallen

Moallen New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks again for the information, I don't think (if I do catch) a catfish I would keep it. I see the pictures of the guy's fishing salt water and have wondered the same thing. I was raised in North Carolina and use to go to the beach alot and catch spots and crockers.They were good eating and I kept a few of them. I have the fishing fever bad:) So come on Spring.
    Allen

13. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Allen don't wait for spring or you'll miss some of the best catfishing of the year. Take a trip with a guide and learn winter catfishing. Fishing has been pretty good this winter up to the recent storm. I'll post some pictures in the weeks to come and maybe a little video as well. See ya on the water!

14. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Release All The Catfish That I Catch. Practice C.P.R.