Large catfish boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catnip, Mar 22, 2006.

1. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    what type of boat is best for several people catishing, thinking about a very wide jon or pontoon, shallow draft and manageable if alone. any ideas? by the way i'm selling mine it was posted this morning. catnip

2. Creek6

Creek6 New Member

State:
    OK
    I have a 20' Lund Alaskan single side console and we easily fish 4 out of it in comfort. Lots of room in the back of the boat. Lots of storage.

3. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Just my humble opinion and I am terribly biased but I find it hard to believe that you can find any boat with more room to fish than a pontoon or deckboat. Are the manageable if alone? Every boat is only as manageable as the person operating it.

4. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    well i'd like to fit seven people on board, since i've joined the BOC and learned some secrets my fishing (catching) has improved now everyone wants to go.

5. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    last weekend i saw a large jon with a deck on it can you give me pros and cons of a pontoon never been on one

6. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dang man if you are wanting to take 7 people then you are going to have to get a pontoon boat or something. I have a 20' jon boat and have fished out of a 24' as well. I would say fishing a jon boat 4-5 people max is comfortable to be able to move around and fish. If you are wanting 7 people then you will have to get something a lot bigger, i.e. a pontoon. I would say some disadvantages of a pontoon would be size, catch more wind, speed (if you are worried about that), and manueverabilty (some ramps around here would be hard to launch a pontoon, and I wouldnt really want a pontoon on the river here but that is just me. Good luck in your search man this is jump my opinion on your predicament. Hope everything works out for you and let us know if you have any other questions.

7. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    seven people might be pushing it but just having room to walk around and stretch my legs would be nice also fishing with the wife and not bumping into her would also be nice. but i like aluminum boats, i fish shallow lakes, not too many worries about anchoring, how do deck boats act in chop. shallow lakes get choppy quick. catnip

8. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Carolina skiff. They make them up to 27 foot by 8'7" wide capacity 22 people 5000 pounds draft 6". Foam filled, unsinkable you can get a bare hull and rig it how you want it. Fiberglass does not like rocks though if you fish rocky rivers.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Catnip,
    Just my opinion but I can't think of anything less relaxing or more hassle than 7 people trying to fish at the same time. Get something that is comfortable for you and your wife and have the rest of them take their turn...W

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont know if I could afford 7 friends fishing with me.
    I found out by owning a boat that there is no better at mooching then your friends.:)
    When its time to fuel the boat, pay the ramp fee, hit the grocery store for some grub, and fuel the truck they all seem to have disappeared. Its amazing how they show up on the dock as the boat hits the water though.:confused:
    And you still gotta make them boat payments and pay the insurance.

Brother, you are headed in the direction of making something as enjoyable as fishing into dreaded work.

11. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    what is the beam on this type of boat, i dont believe everything i hear, are they stable, i do believe unsinkable though is the same said about boston whaler. catnip

12. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    I have a 22 ft. deck boat and a 28 ft. toon. Normally it's just me and Grandma so either is usually sufficient, but we've found four adults and a grand child or two is max for the deck boat. The toon will fish 6 adults easily, but that would be the limit for us. Everyone one has thier own space requirements, some more than others. Women usually require more room than men. No offense intended ladies, but I "pilot the ship" when grandma hosts one of her fishing parties (all women) and that 28 ft. toon can get mighty small on occasion. There is one consolation to having people wanting to fish with you. When that starts to happen you can rest assured you are doing something right and you're catching fish.

Obnoxious behavior takes up more space than anything.

13. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Catnip,

To comfortably fish 7, your gonna need one heck of a boat. Fishing seven from ANY boat, your still going to have limited space to cast, not to mention a possible tangled mess when someone actually hooks into a fish with that many poles in the water(depending upon how many poles per person and how much current). Here is a link to a thread that may help with your decision on the best cat boat for you. Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with.

What is the ideal catfish boat for you?

14. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    yea i know about flippen the bill when it comes to my moochy friends but these guys i didnt choose, the wife i did though, the rest is family its not easy fishing with em, now we gotta bring the dogs and four kids . they are teens and will fly the nest within a few years . i'll try to enjoy them while i can. catnip

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Questioning a Carolina Skiff?
    They are decent boats, They'll beat the fillings out of your teeth, and you'll stay wet from spray.
    Just get ready to open your wallet wide, 7 years ago I priced a modest package with only one extra and that was a t-top. This was a 21 footer on a galvanized trailer with a 90 horse 2 stroke.
    Try on $21,000 bucks. I aint that dumb. This thing is nothing more then a fiberglass barge and rides no better then one.
    Buy one used and let somebody else take the axe murdering on it.

I'll take a gamble here but I would bet the hull alone on the 27 footer would come in at 13-15,000. Its heavy as lead too so I wouldnt dare put less then a 150 on it. That is another 15-20 grand and atleast 2 G's for a good trailer .
    And you havent even touched the interior yet. Some of those accessories that add to the price of the hull are mandatory options.
    You are easily looking at another 5-6 G's to rig it with their options that aren't options.

16. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    7 ppl in a boat catfishing?Can not imagine what that would be like:) good luck buddy;) I think I would take them all to a bank spot!!!

17. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    ouch now thats alot of money, no we can't spend that much on a boat. tried the idea on the wife once needless to say it did'nt work. her family invented copper wire as they were fighting over a penny. catnip

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If I had to fish 7 people I would seriously be riding around looking a used pontoon. One good place to find them is a marina on a lake. Folks think they want a boat keep it a few years and dont use it much and those marina fees are eating them up. I've seen some steal deals at marinas on pontoons all the way to house boats.

Another good way to get one cheap is through a divorce (not yours).
    Divorce usually means a division of property and alot of that is sold cheap at times.

19. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    hmm divorce you say? that option arises every couple of months. i did find an odd boat never saw one before. a wide jon, beam must be 7-8 foot 20 foot long tunnel with a pontoon deck on it, has any one seen one of these i'm thinking about trading my boat and cash for it.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Depends on what you are willing to spend.
    The thing about a pontoon boat is that they are not a planing hull.
    They are a semi-displacement hull. Meaning they take less engine because of something called hull speed. Often times on a pontoon you can put say a 150 hp motor on it but it may increase speed only 5 MPH over what a 90 hp pushes it.
    So, less engine is cheaper to buy, maintain, and use.

If it were a true displacement hull you could put a 20 horse motor on it and get 12 MPH out of. Put a 100 horse on it and get 12 MPH out of it but you would have more horsepower to overcome wind and current with a 100 horses.

If you are looking alot of room for less money a pontoon is by far the best bang for the buck and easily found used.