large bait fish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by trctrdr, Aug 11, 2009.

1. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have number of large hybred bluegills I want to try for bait but I'm not sure what size sinkers I need to hold these down in the lake we fish in. I have been using 2 oz. sinkers with smaller gills (up to about 6 in.) but I'm pretty sure they won't hold the hybreds in place.

2. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    id try them under a flaot if there that big and with the thremicline ya just might have to to keep them alive

3. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Go out in shallow water and see how much it takes to hold the biggest ones. That will give you an answer use what it takes to keep them where you want. I have used 3oz to hold small baits with a little current. So you need to see want you need for the way and place you fish.

4. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The spot I want to fish them is on a point that's 40 ft deep on one side over a creek bed then comes up to about 3-5 ft. on the other side of the point. There's a nice big tree laying in the water 2/3 submerged in the shallow part. Caught an 8 lb. channel there, right next to that log in three feet of water last week. I'm thinking there might be a nice flat there if I can get just close enough for a cast next to the log. How would you use a float in that situation?

5. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Mark you could try a slip bobber and set your bait at the depth you want to fish it at. You might try setting a couple of lines on the shallow side and a couple on the deeper side at different depths, that would give you some coverage of the log as well as the route a flattie might use to get to and from it. Good luck and welcome to the BOC.

6. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    If you use a fixed weight, it usually doesn't take much to hold a baitfish in place. They usually calm down pretty quick, and quit stuggling against the weight....unless something swims by big enough to eat them, and then they go nuts...which is kinda what you want. On the other hand, if you use a slip weight, like a Carolina rig, they'll keep moving around as long as there's slack in the line...and man will they get themselves tangled up if there's structure nearby!

7. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have definately experienced that with the carolina rig, besides I could never cast that with a large bait without the weight sliding back on the line on the way out. I would most likely use a fixed weight.
    Good idea about putting a couple on both sides of the log,,I'll try that.

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Mark welcome to the B.O.C. looks like u have already got some good info on here ,keep us posted on how u do :wink:

9. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks to all,,,ain't it neat when you see your bait going nuts after a long period without movement,,,makes your imagination go wild wondering just what's going on down there. Then off goes your bait clicker.

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Why, what's going on down there? And, what does it sound like when your bait clicker goes off? :smile2:

Do these 2 actions involve something that I don't know about?:big_smile:

11. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You'll love it when you find out

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

In my opinion,4 ozs should anchor just about any gill you,ll find.:wink:

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    3-4 oz i would think in a lake.

14. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Found this tonight....good information on slip bobbers:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27798

15. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Nothin like it man! i love predicting a hit. if i see my rod tip jiggle from my frightened gill, i'll say to my buddy, hey watch this, then sooner or later bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! addicting.

16. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I've got some pretty good ideas of how to fish one of the local lakes a little bit after reading a few of these older threads. I keep seeing the idea of using "large" live baits under a slip float set at the thermocline; and from a few pointers ive got from a fellow boc member this really may be the ticket to busting a real monster 50+ hawg out of there. It's October, I'm normally this excited to stick an arrow in a lunker buck, but I think I'll be gettin out the baitcasters a couple more times before the nasty weather shows itself. :wink:

17. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Oh crap my wife has a deer and a elk tag!:embarassed:

18. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I may not be visualizing your fishing hole right,but it theres current or wind action to take your bobbered bait towards the log,throw as close as you can and let the wind or current carry your bobber and bait right up against the log.

As for holding down the bigger baitfish,try using a sharp pair of kitchen shears to trim the tailfin down to only 1/4 to 1/2 inch long,it'll make the bait work really hard to move creating alot more action in the water,while at the same time giving the bait lots less power to move,so he can't drag your weight around,you can also clip off half of one side of his side fin making him work hard to stay upright,which will attract a big cat in a hurry when they see food that can't barely keep itself up,the bait just works that much harder to swim up right and forward that it will attract anything big enough to eat it with the struggle.

19. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    that's a great idea don. :big_smile: Thanks for the tip!

20. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Use a large enough flaot to stay suspened from the pull of the bait run ur weight bead swivle no on ur leader lets say there 6 to 8 in (i like mine shrt around cover) before you tie on ur hook or swivle take a coffee straw and cut it to fit ur leader leingth its strong enough that when ur bait trys to wrap you up it can loop in around branch,limb what have you but when a flattie or channel hits there mouth crush's it together and they have no idea its there i know sounds weird but try it i have been doing it all yr and have't lost a rig yet but iam sure in time i will but its part of the game for a good flaot id use a cat flaot by wild wolf prod. or make ur own like i do (look in member lib. or artical sec.) to see how to make them couple diferent ways of doing it hope this helps ...sniper