Lanyard Kill Switch

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Blue Bruiser, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Can someone help me out with how to install a lanyard kill switch on my boat

thank you

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, I've found it works much better to install those kill switches on the motor, rather than the boat. Har, Har, Har. Sorry; couldn't resist that. The devil is working on me. :big_smile:
    The last one I installed actually replaced a faulty existing switch, and I spliced into the same wires. I'm pretty sure the aftermarket switch that I used had some instructions on the package. What size/brand of engine are you installing it on?

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Are you operating a remote or tiller steer and what type of engine.

4. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    1980 80hp Mariner. Not A Tiller. It's an older style throttle box

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    So you can already kill it with the key switch. If you want it where you can hook it to you while you are operating the boat then just open the box up and splice in to the two black wires that go to the M terminals on the key switch and install the lanyard switch where it is convient to you.

6. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Since we are on this topic
    Do I need to install a lanyard kill switch if i already have a key switch to fish tourneys?
    I thought i read something about that.

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota

I don't know the rules, though a lanyard switch is a good thing to have tourney or not.

8. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    David do you really hook youself up to a lanyard every time you are under power?

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I do, though I run a boat with a center console and 200 hp inboard jet. I am not worried about being thrown from the boat and being run over by it, as much as I am, being thrown from the boat and it becoming a run away and causing possible harm to other boaters or even people way up on shore.
    Also I run shallow at high speeds some time and I like to know that if I hit something and can't hold my own, the boat will stop.

My old boat had a 25 hp tiller with no lanyard or neutral safety. After being almost thrown into the river alone after dark, a couple of times at the first pull of the rope. I understand the purpose of those things, so I keep the cord hooked to my pfd and it gets snapped on the switch every time before i turn the key. And when I am fishing the cord gets tucked outta the way into the pocket on the pfd. I made it habbit just like putting on my pfd.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I even have one on my toon I use every time I fire the motor. I have them on every outboard I have and four wheelers also'

11. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good advice Guys
    Sounds like I better put one on my boat, and get used to it.
    Good post Chris