Lanterns affecting catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by boozer, Sep 23, 2006.

1. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    does the light off a lantern effect the fishing?

2. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Some folks wont even take a lantern with them cause of the amount of light it gives off, and I agree if you have it up all the way right on top of the water then it will in some way effect your night of fishing , Myself I never go fishing with out it !. I keep it just bright enough to get around the bank with out stumbling on a rock or stick and taking a swim :) and I keep it back far enough that when I have to turn it up it dosent coat the water with the light

This is my own oppinion,

3. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    all depends on who you talk to.some do some don't.i personally dont think it bothers them.i have my rod holders in the back of the boat with the lantern set up kind of high.it shines out across the water and i usually catch fish.

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I don't like using a lantern for fishing, I think it can spook good cats but I have no scientific proof of it. It definitly does draw the bugs though and that is reason enough for me not to bring it. That and the fact that I have too much junk in my boat already. I use a small headlight that I turn on just when I have to, tieing on new hooks and stuff like that. Otherwise my boat is dark at night.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Who knows for sure, some say it does....some say it dont.

Only thing I know is that it is one more thing to carry, so I leave mine at home 99% of the time. Get a nice headlamp and you can't go wrong.

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I've Never Really Thought About It,i Figure If They're Hungry That Their Bite

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Light attracts bait fish ,I think this is why some swear by a lantern . I take plenty of lights but never use the unless need .

8. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Lots of crappie fishermen use lights and lanterns to crappie fish at night. They attrract bait fish which attracts crappie. And, if there are crappie, there are catfish.
    With that being said, un-natural moving light will spook fish, catfish included.

9. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont use them,Here in Ok it's a dinner bell for snake's and skeeter's and it is just one more thing to pack down the trail,I like a strap on head light,Yea that's right I got a strap on,,,Now what!!!!!!! lmao.........:crazy:

10. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I always use a lantern,hasnt seemed to bother anything,and hatlights are a good thing.:cool2:

11. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i dont think it effects it in the wrong way. plus i can see better so when a line snaps or something happens i can fix it quicker which gives me more time to catch fish! lol

12. Big Merc

Big Merc New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Just a headlamp, is all I need.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think a lantern is just fine as long as you don't cast shadows across the water. Same with a camp fire. In smaller rivers and creeks this can be very bad spooking that one big fish. On the big rivers usually the water is deeper and the light and shadows don't penetrate. On smaller water I fish in the dark with the aforesaid head lamp. On big water I light it up and listen to music. lol
    Fifty feet out and twenty down they don't even know you are there.:smile2:

14. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ive read that when river fishing, lights attract bugs, which will attract bait fish, which attracts big fish. Locally, I fish lakes and ponds, with a lantern. Big cats like to come out at night (my educational esperiences) and I need the light to see what the heck Im doing. I do pull it back from the lake, usually behind a tall stack of weeds so as not to shine on the whole lake.

15. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

In urban areas there are few situations that require the use of a lantern, so I generally bring one for when I have to light up a small area after a catch. With that in mind, I don't think the use of a lantern has any negative effect in a well lit area. On the other hand, if I was fishng in the woods I wouldn't want to use one for the reasons that have already been mentioned.

Vic

16. Bubbafish

Bubbafish New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    when me and my buddies go we always have 2 or 3 lanterns. we have two on shore at either end of us and one in the middle in about 2-3 foot of water so we can catch fresh bait and we have never had a problem with catchin them in numbers or size.

17. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I always have a lantern. To keep the lantern from casting unwanted shadows on the water, I have half of the globe covered with heavy duty aluminum foil. This allows light to come out of only half of the globe, so you can keep it turned down lower, and direct the light where you want it, and away from where you don't want it.

If only I could invent a lantern that did not attract bugs.........:roll_eyes:

18. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I agree that with the use of the foil or even one of thoes new shades that mounts under the lid screw , ...just like to find one with a built in bug repeller

19. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    I use a lantern for my fishing but just keep it back and very low to minimize how much gets on the water. Guess it all depends on what you prefer.

Wheelmobile07

20. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Earlier this year This same post was up and people were talking...

* I had been flatty fishing for about three years.. Always bringing a lantern and always dropping a crappie light... While, I caught crappie and bass and catfish..But, I never caught any big catfish..

~ After reading that post and really thinking about it.. I decided to forget about the crappie and give it a try...
    * All year I have been flatty fishing in the dark... Minimal use of the headlights as well.. I use glowsticks at the ends of my rods that don't have the bait click and it has been a wonderful year... 4 fish over 30lbs, 1 over 40lbs and one over 65lbs.
    I can't say that no lanters helped me.. But boy I sure think so.. :big_smile: