Lantern question-please help!

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by massa_jorge, Jul 1, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i just came across an awesome lantern at a garage sale for 5 bucks. it's an old thermos brand white gas lantern.
    i was pretty excited to get it home and check it out and then.... one of my kids kicked it over and broke the globe. this isn't one of those cylinder type globes, it is narrow at the base and wide at the top. all the usuall places don't carry this style. anyone have any ideas where i can get one?

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Try E Bay...............just a thought.

Better yet, look the model number up on line and see what you find.

Take care.
    Cheryl

3. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    See if you can find a web sight, if you have a flea market try there.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I can not offer any more advice than you have gotten.I do know that you already have gotten your $5.00 back many times over if you and your family have learned a lesson and no one was injured.Just the spilling of fuel can cause death,injury and loss of property.I had a grown friend get cut severely when he carelessly broke the globe on his family heirloom Kerosene lamp while cleaning it.Be thankful it was not lit.I know you are broken hearted as I would be.This is just a small part of the price of parent hood.I will ask everyone that I can think of.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    post a pic of it. Someone one day will match your L. with pic and your fixed up.
    BOC has a spot for pics that's easy to go to

6. pamlee101

pamlee101 New Member

State:
    carrollton
  7. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Also check coleman they made a few lanterns that had those shape of globes on them.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    In the 60's I had a Themos brand lantern and camp stove. But it was designed to burn regular leaded gas. That was the reason I bought Thermos, so I wouldn't have to mess with white gas. :wink:

Sorry, can't help you with a globe, I long ago gave away both of them.

9. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Contact Themos on the internet . They may be able to ID the part# for you. It's amazing how helpful sporting goods manufactors can be. I've had good luck with Coleman . I was able to get a free 1968 manual for a Coleman heater.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    it's the Model 8326 double burner Thermos. i can't find anything saying thermos does or does not make lanterns anymore. it says on the lantern it burns any type of gasoline, would that include white gas?

talked to the guy and he says he just got rid of the campstove by the same company, also gasoline. he sold it for 5 bucks too. man, wrong place wrong time!

i appreciate yall's input on this!

11. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Jordan I got you beat on that deal I have one that was new unused when I got it.I had an old friend who had a store which he closed many years ago and one day I saw this lantern which had the globe missing.When I ask about it he gave it to me,it was left over stock from the store and the globe got broken when he was moving out.They ain't made thermos lanterns in 30 years so globes are hard to find.I have three now but one has no globe.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yep, that was their big selling point for they would burn regular gas or white.
    I never burn anything but regular.

13. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    There is a Co "not sure of the name" that makes after market lantern parts. They have a line of globes that are made out of wire mesh. You may be able to use one of them or make you one out of SS wire mesh.

14. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I recently bought a like new used coleman Northstar dual fuel lantern off of amazon. com This thing rocks you can burn white gas or unleaded gasoline in it. it also has electronic ignition with just 1 single double A battery it uses the insta clip tube style mantles. I LOVE THIS THING Burns really bright and for a very long time on one tank full of gas.

15. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Jim , did you ever find your RR lantern?

16. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Try the amish catlog websites I found parts for all kinds of stuff!! might be worth a try!!:smile2:

17. Shagy

Shagy New Member

State:
    CA
    You might be in some luck.I have about 15 globes all Thermos Pyrex with the blue writing on them.The globe model # 701 and were made in the 50's or 60's and fit several makes and models of lanterns from Thermos ,Coleman,Sears ,etc.Give me a yell if interested!!
    Picture 010.jpg Picture 013.jpg Picture 012.jpg

18. Shagy

Shagy New Member

State:
    CA
    I have a few model #701 Globes that are original blue label Pyrex glass,interested?

19. Hudsoncat

Hudsoncat New Member

State:
    new york
    Please contact me Re; the Lantern globes. I hope they have the following dimensions; approx 4 5/8 base, 3 3/4 top, and 5 7/8 tall. The lantern was given to me by an 84 year old friend and broke two weeks ago. I thought it was a goner! I would love to buy two if possible. Paul @ ELR1000@hotmail.com