Lantern Or No Lantern?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by willisjj, Oct 26, 2005.

1. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I think maybe this has been discussed before, but I would just like to have yalls opinions on nightfishing. Do you think using a lantern helps or hinders the catfish bite at night? And if you don't use a lantern what to do you prefer? Headlamp? Black light? Chem lights? Night Vision Goggles, lol? I have heard some people say that the lantern light attracts bait fish which in turn attracts the catfish. I have always used a lantern myself, but recently bought a headlamp and I am very impressed with it. I still use the small chemlites on the end of my "tightline" poles, but I guess you don't even need that if you are using your clicker. Just wanted some opinions, thanks.

2. spam

spam New Member

I use a head light and bells on my spinning rods. Gave up the lantern several years ago.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I use a lantern for my sake, I dont think it would hurt the bite and if fishing from a boat it may help it by bringing bait fish to the top you wouldnt have to cast as far. I mainly use it so I can see my surrounding incase something might go wrong.

4. willisjj

willisjj Guest

My wife hates using the lantern and I like to be able to see everything so I ain't digging around in the dark first trying to find my flashlight and then whatever I am looking for. I sure do like this headlamp I just bought but still it is hard to just sit there in the dark and I get annoyed turning it off and on. I am thinking of trying a black light but that will only show my line I guess. I don't see that the lantern hurts anything and I don't believe it effects the fishing in any negative way, but its nice to hear other peoples opinions as even as perfect as I am, I sometimes overlook things, lol.

5. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

IMHO a dimly lit lantern will ease your discomfort in the dark, though beware of casting too many shadows! Contrary to popular beliefs Cats have very keen eyesight, just ask anyone who has hit a kitty with their lights at the shore or on the side of their boat! Keep your lantern high above your heads (hung in a tree is best) and don't cast shadows, those Big Boys don't get Big by being stupid!
    I use a headlamp and reflective tape on my rods with a lantern glowing softly in the trees. In the winter I may set the lantern at my feet in front of me for warmth.

6. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Thanks for the great advice and your opinions. I was thinking of getting reflective tape for my rods like you are using. My wife fishes with bobbers usually and she said that the reflective tape would be a good deal for the bobbers too as sometimes the line is so far out that even with chemlites, it is hard to see. With the lack of trees here in Arizona we usually turn the lantern down low and set it way back away from us so we are just catching enought light to see. The shadows are still a problem though. We just try not to make any sudden movements and try to maintain a low profile.

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I don't night fish much,but when I do,its always a lantern and flashlight.Can't stand bumbling around in the dark.
    I set the light off to my side,maybe 20 feet away.Cuts down on glare and casting shadows on the water.Also keeps the bugs farther away.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Also depending on what type of lantern (I have one of the old gas colemans) my Dad put some reynolds wrap (about 4-6 inches) around the globe so it wouldnt be in our eyes.

9. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I use two Colman rechargable lanterns. They are not so bright to cast shadows, but give enough lite to in the boat. I also use head lamps for line rigging. The lanterns are kind of dim for line rigging.

The lanterns also make your boat easyer to see for other boaters!

10. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    single LED hat clip light for me and a small fire way off to the side.

Cant stand the lantern hissing all night either. Its ok for hanging out and chatting with buddies till all hours of the night but if the goal is to get fish in your hands, I say you are better off with the world looking as natural as you can make it.

Sit far off from the bank so your fat feet stomping the ground doesnt affect the fish either. My inlaws have a pond stocked with cats (my sugestion and they listened!!! WOO HOO!) Whe you walk by it, with every step no matter how lightly you trod, they shift their swim patterns. This happens 20 or more feet away- so you know that clonking around in your boots along the riverside does no good for fishin.

Again- keep it as natural as you can and they wont suspect a thing.

I am opposed to lanterns.

Sal

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I haven't been lately, but I have always used a lantern while catfishing. Seems to make no noticeable difference to me other than the bugs are less without it. Our river is murky most of the time at best and most of the time we're fishing in water at least 20 foot deep. And we cast at least 20 yards or more behind the boat. So the bait is at least 60 feet back and 20 feet down. The light from the lantern isn't anywhere near where the bait is. So how can a catfish see it? Specially 20 foot down. A lantern doesn't shine a million candle power of light in the water, most lanterns don't have a high candle power, probably less than 600 or so. Anyway, just my opinion but I haven't ever noticed much difference myself, especially bank fishing. I do use a head lamp and regular flashlights too, but not exclusively.

12. willisjj

willisjj Guest

How did you know I had fat feet Sal? Lol. Thanks for your post. I see some very valid points there. I hate that hissing too. I am thinking about trying a rechargable battery operated lantern. My wife would fish in complete darkness if I would let her, but I also don't enjoy fumbling around in the dark. I can't see very well in the daylight, lol.

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It just depends. I don't really think the latern attracks the fish like they say. What I do find that attracks the fish are the floating crappie lights they have. Now them things attrack fish like no tomorrow. I use one of them when lake fishing. Other then that I just always have on a head lamp on and a spot light always by my side. Although I must admit I fish from a boat almost always. So I don't have to worry about tripping over anything. Nor do i have to worry about the buggy monster eating me. :)

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I just use some lanterns from waly world, and on the rod tips a small flourescent light taped on. I set the lights behind me a little bit , I just want to be able to see around me, dont want to trip and fall over something. I know our eyes can adjust to dark, but still I need a little light atleast. Havent noticed a problem in it affecting the fish.

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    i use a lantern when i fish at night,i turn it on dim, i'm not sure if it has any negative effects on the fishing,but i don't think it would effect it any differently, than say, a street light which are located in alot of places that i fish from the bank

16. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Jeremy,
    Light is a saftey mechanism used since man found fire, I personally like to see the critters that slither and low crawl around in the dark before they see me. Just a thought!
    If you are worried of casting shadows in clear waters try setting up your lantern at the base of your rod holders in front of you. I also cut the top and bottom off of a coke can then split it down the side for a sheild around the globe directing the light forward, hope this helps! :cool:

17. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

I also meant to say that I don't believe a steady lamp will affect your fishing one way or another, It's any sudden movement that catches the eye of the fish. I think it probably has something to do with the predator/prey scenario if that makes any sense... :confused:

18. Txboy

Txboy New Member

State:
    Hewitt , TX
    Yea thats what we do also but we ended up buying a little lantern sheild for a couple bucks that bolt onto the top and covers up about half of it

Personally we've never been effected by the lanterns light when fishing at night but thats mostly because we always cast out away from the lights . Plus the lights always draw in the schools of shad so thats always good to have bait come to you

19. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I usually bring my lantern on all my night time excursions. i only use it to setup and when I'm leaving. I bought me a headlamp and it is one of the best pieces of catfishing equipment money can buy. I personllay like the one with the red light added to it. Works great when I need to hunt nightcrawlers too.

20. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I've always used a lantern..........but am starting to lean towards wanting to use a headlamp........less to carry.....and it would seem to keep the bugs away....