Lantern fuel

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gargoil77, Apr 18, 2006.

1. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I was just wondering if anyone has used the off brand of fuel at Walmart? I've always bought Coleman, but the off brand is cheaper and would buy it if it's worth it. I've heard before that it wasn't any good. But where I heard that isn't a very reliable source.
    I have a coleman lantern that my dad bought in the late 70's. Does anyone know if I can get a case for it? I'm toting that thing around in the original box and it's tearing up quickly. I would hate for anything to happen to it seeing the only thing that has been replaced on it is the mantles.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I use Coleman fuel also but for how long it lasts me I really dont care about the price too much. But if I could get it cheaper then that would be great

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I've used the cheaper fule and I think it's probably exactly the same stuff except the price is not inflated to cover advertising costs.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont use lanterns anymore, but when I did use a coleman lantern I used whatever was cheapest, I did not notice a difference.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Ive used the cheeper lantern fuel for quite some time now and havent noticed any differance what at all.I think it comes out of the same spicket the only difference is one says coleman and the other dosent.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Same stuff, different name. Been using either for many years and haven't had a problem with either.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    it doesn't matter, just make sure your funnel has a clean filter in it.

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I doubt walmart built a refinery just to compete with Coleman. I bet its just like all the brands of gasoline. All come from same place and just get different names. I have used off brand and didnt see any differance.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Yo Jack I see you don't use lanterns anymore but my understanding is you have taken up flashlights!;) :p :cool: Any truth to that rumor? and do you ever shine your flashlight out on the water when you hear a noise?:p Do you think shining lights on the water spooks the fish??Maybe that is why you get skunked so often.Just me but I would stop doing that if I were you and see if your catch rate goes up :) PS do you prefer bulb or LED type flashlights for shining on the water?LOL

10. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Appreciate all the feedback guys.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    looks like ya got the answer. any hoot i got a duel fuel lantern. i can run it on reg unleaded. it used to be much cheaper. the colman and ozark trail fuel is close to $3 gallon. but now so is gas,lol.

i never noticed any difference. i use all sorts of different propane tanks also on my propane one too. never notice any difference there either.

12. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Well Jack, I reckon with Mellon doing his flashlight thing you just no longer have a need for the lanterns. Right???...:haha: