Lansky Knife Sharpening System

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Gordhawk, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Have any of you tried the Lansky Knife Sharpening Systems? If you have, what is your opinion on them. I'm thinking about buying one, but would like to get some input from someone that has used one before I buy one.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've heard nothing but good things. Been thinking about one, meself.

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I have had one for over 10 years now. I would not recommend any other sharpener, the lansky is great. It will quickly put a razor edge on any knife you want to sharpen. All of my knives will shave, and it is very easy to keep them that way after you have put the first edge on them.

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's what I want to hear,some feedback on what you think of the system. I'm thinking about buying the one that has the stone to sharpen serrated blades too.

5. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    It is GOD's greatest gift to knife sharpening. :wink: Going on 15 years.... I've worn out a couple of sets of stones, so I decided to go with the diamond hones. They sharpen much faster, but I think that the regular stones put a sharper edge on a blade.

6. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I am pretty good at puttin an edge on a blade with just a soft arkansas stone but I bought one of these systems 3-4 yeas back. I have not had a lot of luck with it myself. It could be that I have not used it enough.
    If you guys have any tips I might give it another try. My grandpa was a butcher and Dad tought me to sharpen a knife. It would be pretty hard to beat a soft stone and a steel or leather strap. You could shave with Pop's old barlow most of the time.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Had mine for years. Shaving edges on all my knives. Bare spots on legs to prove it. Never was good with a stone.

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well,so far the consensus seems to be that they are a pretty good knife sharpening system. Keep the opinions coming,I'd like to hear some more opinions on this system.

9. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I have two of the Lansky sharpening systems. They are great. The diamond blocks work better than the natural stones in my opinion.

THIS is what I use most of the time now. So much faster w/ the same results. Makes every blade shave.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive had mine for about a year, wish I would have found it years ago. The company is in my home town. Haven't tried it on broadheads yet.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a Smith's system,Which is baisically identicle sharpener except price wise. Been using it for years,Wish I had gotten it sooner.:cool2:

12. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    been using lansky's for 5-6 years does a nice job easy enough to use

13. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    I own both the Smith and Lansky sharpening Systems, they both do a great job in putting a good edge on your hunting knifes. I do like the Lansky better for I bought it with the diamond stones. It takes least time to do what you can do with a Smith system. But with ever you bye I know that you will be happy with it.:cool2::cool2:

14. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have had mine for about 5 years now. It absolutely will give you a perfectly sharp, even edge on your knives. The hardest part for me was getting it set up properly to hold the knife so it doesn't slip when you sharpen it. It is critical that it hold the knife securely and some knives are more easy to hold than others for some reason. Aside from that, it is absolutely top notch no doubt.

:cool2:

15. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    it works well and will do the job well. but i am like Alan give me a good old softstone.

16. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I will third that , in with Alan also, they work great but for me they are to much work to get out and use when you can get a good steel or caramic rod out and do the same thing in a couple of quick strokes "with a little practice"..
    Just my.02:cool2:
    Puddle

17. afatcat

afatcat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the best, get the diamond sharpening system very fast

18. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    If you have a grinder, this is the best knife sharpener there is. I can sharpen 10 knives to 1 using this sharpener vs. lansky. I know it works because, I sliced the top part of my finger off. Finger nail and all...http://www.razorknife.com/

19. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I have a knock off one and it works fine. It doesn't polish the edge though because the stones are not that fine. Sharp, yes but not new knife sharp. You need a strop or some really fine sandpaper to finish it off with.