landing net vs lip gripper

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mhbomber, Jul 22, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I have started catching some bigger fish lately and my net is too small. I guess this is a good problem, but it brings me to this question: Does anyone have experience with a lip gripper? They are similar price to a net and I am not sure if would be good idea or not. Any pro's and cons??

Thanks!

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use a lip gripper strickly. I dont even have a net on the boat. I use the 28" Berkley Lip Gripper with he xtra long handle you can reach out and get them. Make sure to always get them on bottom jaw and it will never let them go. Get the new pistol grip model and you wont be unhappy. It will take some getting use to but you will love it.

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I actually use both, I use the net one handed to bring the fish in, then I use my Boga grip to lift the fish from the net and remove the hook, plus the boga has a built in scale so I can weigh at the same time. Funny story about my boga, I was fishing the 10,000 islands area in Fla and I happened to be looking in a dumpster and there she was a $250 boga grip in perfect condition, not sure why it was in the dumpster but I didnt stop to ask! of course those guys down there have HUGE boats and I dont think $250 means the same to them as it does to me.

4. Jeff Meyer

Jeff Meyer New Member

State:
    Mineral Point, Wisconsin
    That was a nice find! I have always had the net, and even used it a few times....:confused2:
    I am thinking i would like a lip gripper, especially for the toothy guys. I like the Rapala gripper, but the cheaper fake Boga grips would fit better in my pocket.

Jeff

5. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Y'all are going to laugh at me on this one.:embarassed: I have a very nice net that was purchased about 3 years ago. Everytime we took the net we didn't catch ANYTHING.:confused2: So guess what stays home and never gets used?!!:wink:

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'll bet the jaw of a 50 lb catfish isn't designed to support 50 lbs of weight hanging from it.

Hanging a big fish vertically by his jaw is a pretty good way to damage the fish in several ways - broken jaw bones, dislocated jaw, damaged internal organs, etc. - all of which can contribute to a premature death.

If you're a catch & release fisherman and you think you might be likely to catch big fish, do the catfish a favor and get a big net.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I am 100% Catch-n-Release and I think a 50lb catfish's jaw is just as able to support his weight as a 10lb catfish's is. I use a lip gripper because it seems (IMHO) to ber easier and less stressful on a fish. I have had 40's, 50's, and 60's on mine and dont believe I have ever contibuted to premature death. This is just my opinion though.

8. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Can't help but wonder, the last two world record blues died. The previous died from a bone infection in it's jaw, possibly from the hook set, but they are not sure. The current died while enroute to an aquarium after being moved and photographed no telling how many times before the "experts" got their hands on it. It seems that those big fish are used to the water supporting their weight and the gripper would just cause everything to shift around inside, possibly damage the jaw and generally just look mean.:sad2: I say use a net. This is one of my motivations in designing a new net for trophey sized catfish that can be used by a single catfisherman and not harm the catfish in anyway.

9. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bank fish and use a net because its easier than a gripper. and I also think that it is less stress on a big fish...imo :wink::smile2:

10. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I have both in the boat, the gripper is real useful to me in just being able to have a better handle on even smaller fish. I have had surgery on both hands and just don't have the grip I once did. The Team Catfish grippers work great for what I need, but on larger fish the net is what does the work until they are ready to release.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im one of thos that think it harms the fish to hold it up by its jaws.we use a net to land and then a cradel to weigh.but then i release my big fish on smaller fish im going to eat any thing goes.this is just mop.

12. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I tend to agree that they would hurt the big fish. If someone pulled me up by my jaw then I'm pretty sure my jaw would at least be dislocated. The jaw is designed to eat not hang and support weight. :wink:

13. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I use a net to land the fish and Bogas to hold the fish with while I get the hook out. It has been said and proven many times that holding a big cat vertically by it's jaws or gills will damage their internal organs. If I need to weigh the fish I just leave it in the net and lift the net and subtract the net weight from the total.

14. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a little cheapy Academy net. I wish I had the problem of needing a bigger net.:tounge_out:

15. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I have a Frabil Power Catch with a 42 inch diameter hoop and 6 foot handle. Lots of people make fun of my big net until they see me dip up a 40 pound blue and lift it in the boat by the handle.:smile2:

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i use a net for the simple fact i dont catch hogs all the time. i target eating fish mostly. i had to lean out and grab a 24lb flathead once. with a lip gripper. my hand,lol.:smile2:

17. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I think the grips hurt the big fish. Cats are used to being horizontal with the water giving them support. They don't weigh as much in the water just like anything else. You catch a big fish and then take him out of his element and hang him from his lip is about the same as taking you and hanging you from your feet. All your blood runs to your head and away from the rest of your body. Your organs compact into your chest cavity and makes it harder for you to breath. If your hung there for very long it can kill you.

A catfish is a little different tho. When hung from their lip their blood rushes to their tail and their organs hang down and sometimes will start to come out the anal cavity.

Use a net. It is much more humane to the fish.

I've seen Johnnie and Cass's cradle for weighing big fish. It works great and doesn't stress the fish further by hanging it from it's mouth to weigh it.
    Cass made it. Another advantage to the cradle is that you can get the cat off the ground easier to weigh it without it hanging and tail dragging the ground while you are trying to get it's weight.

For more info on the cradle contact Poisonpits or Cassk.

18. Tyme2fish

Tyme2fish New Member

State:
    Greenville,Indi
    I can't get Annette to go fishing with me.:smile2:

19. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    When hung from their lip their blood rushes to their tail and their organs hang down and sometimes will start to come out the anal cavity.

Man that is an awful sounding thing. I have lip gripped thousands of catfish n yet to see the organs coming out of there anal cavaity from it . I can tell you if I ever do see it I will NEVER lip grip another fish.:smile2:

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've seen videos of too many guys fooling around for too long a time, trying to get the lip gripper on the fish. That's the most dangerous time--the time when a fish is most likely to get away. I'll stick with a net; a BIG net.