Landing Big Cats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by orion_xxvx, Mar 5, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Do you net them and tie them off to boat or net and bring in boat and risk total destruction of property?

2. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I net them and bring them in the boat!

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I bring 'em onboard the boat.

Only thing is when alone and they are a bit too big for me to handle the rod and the net, I'll just bring 'em alongside and grab hold of the lower jaw with one hand. Once that is successful will put the rod down and grab hold with the other hand and hoist em aboard. it only bleeds for a little while and the scabs are cleared up in a week!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Get the hook out, weigh 'em, take a pic, and back in the water gently.

4. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I always net and bring aboard. That way I can take my time in getting the hook out without hurt the fish.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I net and bring aboard if possible.

6. tmbragg67

tmbragg67 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I net them and bring em up. It was a challenge finding a net beefy enough to the bigger fish. I haven't seen the ideal net yet... I have a lip gripper, but just haven't learned to trust it enough - or trust myself about dropping it in the water - to use it without having the fish in the net first.

7. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    i net and bring aboard. Hurry and get a pic and get them back in to swim off yea

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I always feel better when i got my hands on him or he's in a net. Have had some bad experiences with hooks and line.

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Net/Pic/release

10. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I try to keep my handling of a flathead to a minimum.

If it is a small fish that I don't want to bother snapping a picture of, I will try to lip him and remove the hook and let him go without bringing him into the boat. If it is a situation where I cannot lip him, too much current or something like that, I will net him but leave the net in the water, remove the hook, and let him go directly into the river.

If it is a fish that I want a photo of, I will net him and remove the hook and leave the net in the water until I am ready to photo - when ready the fish comes out of the net - smiles pretty for a picture - and right back into the water with as little handling as possible.

If it is a really big fish or I am alone trying to handle a big fish - I will net him and lift him carefully into the boat. I have found that taking a very soaking, wet rag and placing it on their head to cover their eyes will sometimes keep them calm and prevent them from thrashing around. I try to get them back in the water as quickly as possible.

I have never tied off a fish. I'm not sure how you would do that. I would hate to see someone running a rope through their gills or cutting a hole in their jaw for a rope. I do have a very large, soft duck decoy bag on my boat just in case I want to try to keep a large fish alive for longer than a quick photo. It will hold a very large flathead with no problem and wouldn't hurt the fish that much. I've never used it yet but I am prepared just in case I need a large "Keep" bag.

11. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    I usually double fist their jaw, if thier big enough.

J.

12. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I don't have to worry about it.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I aint caught any big enough I couldnt drag on the bank an get a stringer in thier lip yet. I done use a net ,just lip all my fish.

14. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice catfish:big_smile:

15. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    what are you doing:eek:oooh:

16. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice flathead:wink:

17. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I cant stand it if it is a monster and hes along side the boat flopping so i will bring him aboard in my net and gently take a pic and release or hold in my livewell until i have to weigh in time at a tourny, Then release

18. muddyjet

muddyjet New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I grab the bottom lip and hold on. It will cut up your knuckles, but hey it like having a trophy for the catch.........
    Have known a few guys that keep a small gaff in their boat and gaff them through the lower lip.

19. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    one more helpful pointer on netting a big fish let him settle down and stop flopping before you set him in the boat they can knock you off your feet[i know the hard way] they can knok or throw your new 150$ rig out of the boat{i know the hard way} but most important is the fish will bruse himself one more stress you dont need when RELEASING a trophy:angry:

20. bigsmitty13

bigsmitty13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have to put it on the boat before I feel like I've caught it.