landing big blue cat fish on the bank

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Motopro00, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I was out tonight and hooked into a nice size blue. My PB is 21 pounds and this one was what I would say in the 30 range. I had him hooked good. The problem is I don't have a net. I know I need one but unemployment only goes so far.:angry: I was on a wing dike that was only out of the water about 10". I had a pair of gloves that I put on but was still nervous about putting my hand in its mouth with the hook still in there. I have 65 pound braid and a 50 pound leader. I decided to try to pull him out of the water on the dike with the pole and had him up out of the water half way then braid snapped. I still say I officially caught him. I consider it CAR witch I planed on but wanted to get a picture for proof. Any advice on landing a big boy with no net? :confused2:

2. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i would say either grab him with the risk of getting hooked or get a grabber they work good.also you could always check walmart they put alot of fishing stuff on clerence,i know the ones around here do anyway.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Dang Mike, sorry ya lost him.

I bank fish most of the time and I don't even own a net. I get them close and grab the jaw, then the belly if I can. Usually I'll get them out and to the ground asap, this way I can reposition my hands to hold him proper and get the hook out.

I use a leather glove, I'm wearing one in my avatar as a matter of fact. I just try to keep my hands away from that hook as best I can. I run circle hooks so 95% of the time the hook is in one corner of him mouth or the other.

Just be careful, some bite a lot and they all shank hard as hell, LOL.

-Jim-

4. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I am going to pick me up some grabber soon for sure. There easy lighter than a big net. I am going to switch over to day fishing over the weekend for added light. I am glad that I got to the next level and am catching big fish. :big_smile: In two months off the bank I caught a 30ish,21,18,16 blue and bunch under 10. Tonight I was solo. The other times i had a friend who had a BIG net.

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only bank fish the river and have caught a lot of blues in the 20 to 50lb range and have never used a net. I walk over the rocks and reach down and grab them by the gills and pull them over the rocks, weigh maybe take a photo, then release. I always use octopus circle hooks, so I always know where the hook is. My main problem when landing bigger blues is making sure my reel doesn't end up in sand, mud or wedged between rocks. Good luck.

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    ouch, poor fish. i would never grab a fish by the gills. imagine dragging a 50# fish over the rocks by his gill flaps. poor judgement IMO.

7. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know what you mean, it's usually a long walk to the good spots, and you try to not pack anything that you don't HAVE to have. I have a good idea though. I'll go out with you this weekend and I can help you land the big fish. :wink:

8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    When i get a good fish in and I dont have a net you can bet my hands going in there mouth hook or no hook.I would loose a finger before I lost a good fish.When I caught my pb flat I jump into about waist deep water and put my hand and half my arm in his mouth and got it on the bank.

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

THATS GANGSTER

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I carry my grippers in my back pocket, that isnt GANSTER? Lol.