Landing a fish on a steep bank...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bkhollan, Jun 27, 2006.

1. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    I have to bank fish the White River and I have found a huge logjam in about 10 or so feet of water in an eddy. If you use a bobber in it. It would stay in about the same area as you cast it. Well only problem is it is on a steep bank. Maybe 8 feet before you get to the water. I want to fish it, but if I hooked anything decent size I dont know how I'd land it. Anyone have any suggestions? I have a net with a 5 foot handle and if i reached over the bank I could probably get it within a foot or two of the water. Anyone know a way to make an extension on the handle of my net? Thanks for any info

2. Tar_River_kid

Tar_River_kid New Member

State:
    NC- Nash county
    You may could find some pipe at your local lowes or home depo, get the new pipe so it would slide over the nets handle then epoxy it in place. Also I don’t know if this would work or not but at the beach the pier fishers have a round net with a rope attached that they lower down to the water, you could try and find it on Google.
    Hope this helps randy

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    May or may not work but here goes, have you ever noticed at pools especialy the hotel pools they have a long pole for retrieving people I would say some are atleast 10 feet long if not more, might try something like that. Or even a large dipbasket.

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yu might try a painters extentionandle for using paint rollers.

5. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    does it just drop straight off to ten ft? if not then i would look into wade fishing

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have a net, that I made two 3 foot extensions for, giving me a total of 9 feet. I also have interchangeable nets for it, in case I find shad running. I used the handle from a kayak paddle that comes apart. I took the blades off and I use the orignal net handle as the last piece! One thing really important though, is you have to pull the net up verticaly, letting the net close over the fish, kind of like a purse. If you try to lift from a horizontal position with a big fish, the leverage would bend the handle. I'll post a pic of it in a while!

7. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I think Deltalover was on the right track. The variation I'd suggest is if you have a oar, a solid wooden oar, take your dip net and lay the handle of it right on the flat part of the oar so that where the dip net starts to make a loop is touching the flat part right at the end of the oar. That should be strong enough to support anything you can get in the net without bending. As to securing the dip net to the oar, that's kind of wide open...maybe duct tape the full handle, drill a small hole through the handle and into the oar and put a washer and bolt in it and then tape it?? the bolt idea and some cinch straps, anything to keep the net from moving around on the oar.:0a26: :0a28: :0a24:
    Don

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Here is what I use to haul up stripers and cat from a bridge. I use our old telescoping pool net pole and I drilled 2 holes in the net handle. I use 2 2 in screws that are tighten with wing nuts. Works great! I then use my old deep leaf net to net shad as well. I will take some pics this week when I hit the water.

9. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    i've had the same problem ... this is what i did ........... i got hold of some aluminum tent poles and bolted them together ........ on the end i bolted a 7/0 ss hook ........... after the fight , i drag the fish up the bank a bit , hook him in the mouth with the pole/hook, bring him up ,,,,,,,,,,,roll him back down the bank and away he goes...............

10. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    Thanks everyone for your help. It is a straight drop off. I dont think you coud wade fish it. Its way to deep. It's at least 10 feet deep.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i had the same problem with some of the piers around my area as well as other places too... Easily solved when i went out and bought a pier landing net... Its got the same size opening as my old one (the one that broke on my PB channel) but can be adjusted with the handle from like 6 ft (not including the net part itself, this is just the handle) to like 10 or 12 ft... It works really well on those spots where you have far drops to the water... They also make ones that go from 4-7 ft... all under about $40

Other option (not knowing the net you have i can't say for sure that this is plausable or not... ) but either add a section of light metal tubing or long wooden rod in and screw in like 6 places in the handle of the net...

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    You are probably looking for something like this. Ive seen these used at some piers at the dams.

A bridge net that will collapse and fit in the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket. Easily Opens to a full
    30" . 30 feet of strong durable landing line. The tough plastic hoop material is designed to flex inwardly when hauling in fish. After you land your catch the PopNet returns to its original generally circular condition

Attached Files:

13. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    You could ad on some pvc pipe or buy one of those 10 ft handled nets at walmart.

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

there is a square net I belive its called a basket net you might look into if all else fails. and the saltwater guys use a bucnh of stuff from lobster nets to rope gaffs if you plan on eating the fish.

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    wolfman took the words right out of my mouth.

16. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    The fish in my avatar was landed on a 6ft bank. It's hard to do even with two people. Like said, get you a long handled BIG net and learn to use it right. On some banks you can walk down the bank to a better landing spot so you might wanna check the edge out. Sounds like you got a good spot!!

17. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have a simliar problem i fish off a 10 to 12 foot bank sher drop but if the water is down i can beach the fish then put my pole in a rod holder and take a peace of twine i have tied off to a tree and loop it around the handel so if the fish takes off he dosent get my pole to then i just clime down and get him but if the waters up i cant land aneu fish over 18# my pole hase 20 pound line on it and whin i get the fish to the bank i grab the line with a rag and haul him up i think ill invest in one of those pop nets where did you get it wolfman??

18. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    One thing I learned while shark fishing off the piers in California, was that you can lower a crab net beneath big fish to bring them up the pier. So maybe lowering a cast net below the fish and pulling it up that way would be a good method.

19. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    If the fish is that big your brain wont register the fact that you might drown before you win the fight>Trust me I know speeking on experience.Nothin like hand to hand combat in there environment