lamps or no lamps?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by uttatoo, Feb 17, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    when i fish for flaties we dont use lanterns only green light flashlights called net lights you can get them from mega cat crew .com but i feel that the white light scares off flaties
    when i target channels we use lanterns and spotlight what do you guys think about this

2. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    I definitely like to use a light but I mainly fish from a boat and safety is my main concern but I am mostly fishing for blues or channels. Plus I am mostly drifting and a well lit boat is much easier to fish out of. I think the fish I am targeting aren't scared of anything anyway most of them are more concerned about feeding. Even if I am anchored I don't worry about the light I don't know if a fish would relate the light to danger.

3. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Most cats aren't scared of line or a little light but they seem to be real
    particular about loud metallic sounds. Don't bump the boat unless you are
    leaving and if you do bump it or drop something on the floor of the boat,
    you might want to think about leaving that spot for a while. Come back
    a couple of hours later and you might have a clean slate to work with.

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    No lights, except for rebaiting or rerigging. Lights limit your night vision to their circle of illumination.

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    we use headlamps. we found that a headlamp w/ a red light on it too is purdy good for the bug season. if we need somethin w/ more power the maglites work good enough when needed.

6. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I am thinking of buying a black light, should I?

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    that might not be a bad idea. anyone who uses a white or maybe other light colored poles could clearly see them. im trying to think, i thought i seen somethin where a blacklight was being used. just my thoughts on it right now are that it could be a benefit.

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

to be honest i dont worry about it much at all. i catch a ton of flatheads all season long with two laterns runningfull blast at night.they only thing i ever do is try not to shine the light on the water other than that i dont pay it much attention

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i think the green lights i use dont atract bugs and plus i use and so does my family shakspeer glow sticks wich help also

10. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    black lights work great if you have mono green line. You can see your line real good. It eliminates alot of bugs too. I just goto shopko and they have a tube black light that will plug into your cigaret lighter on your boat.

11. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    black lights work great if you have mono green line. You can see your line real good. It eliminates alot of bugs too. I just goto shopko and they have a tube black light that will plug into your cigaret lighter on your boat.

12. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    My jonboat doesn't have a cigarette lighter. Be lucky if I can afford to replace the battery for the trolling motor. The oars were the main propulsion source and I lended them out to a couple of young associates of one of my sons. They moved, beings as Dad got transfered and took my oars with them, I trust. Gotta bunch of stuff to buy or replace and spring's getting here.

13. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    a couple of options that you might want to think about.

1. you can buy something that attaches to the battery.
    2. the black lights that I use also take DD batteries.

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    DD's ??:0a5: ..................oh.......sorry, you was talkin bout batteries.......sorry !!:smile2:

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is just a matter of personal preference. There is not much difference when bank fishing and using something like a coleman lantern and the shine of a full moon on the water. Gotta remember though, most of the good size fish come into the bank looking for their supper. They are not used to something crossing the moon and putting a shadow on the water, so don't put your coleman's where they will cast shadows. Also, My belief is that the fish can feel the vibrations of a person walking on the bank. So I bait up, set down, and don't move around. When I get a bite, hook a fish, or take the fish off the line is time to move around, but I feel it generally takes 10 to 15 minutes of inactivity before they will feed in the general area again. So, I think it is movement and ground vibrations you need to eliminate, not necessarily the light.

16. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have a light on 99% of the time. Whether it is the anchor light or a lantern. I like to see everything in the boat. I don't need my night vision unless it is dark and I am guarding the perimeter of a compound or on patrol. I seam to be able to catch fish when that big burning ball of fire is out during the day. I don't believe a little light hanging in my boat, or sitting on the ground if I am bank fishing is to big of a deal at night.

17. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Jay -- I need my night vision to keep monsters (or skinnydippers) from sneakin up on me.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use no lights at all, only turn on a small flahlite when needed.

19. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Do any of you guys use those light strips that go around the inside
    of the boat? They are small lights fitted inside about a 5/8" clear tubing.
    Saw those at Cableas the other day and thought they might work well for illuminating just the inside of the boat.

20. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I fish black out 90% of the time. Only time I have a light on is when cutting bait or re-rigging my line. I know my boat to well I can walk around it blind folded.