Lakeville Area, New to board

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Michiganman5, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Michiganman5

Michiganman5 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hi all,

New to the board, glad to be here. Spent the better part of three hours last night looking around. Love the board.

I live just north of lakeville (leonard) and south of Dryden.

looking for a good place within a fair distance for some good catfish....

Hopefully a nice place to boat, or shore fish with the kids. If so, let me know what lake/river etc, and maybe some tips, how where, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC brother, always great to have another new member. Hopefully someone will chime in soon from your area.

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Welcome aboard Jay! You shouldn't have any trouble finding a place to fish, down where you're at. You are in the land of lakes within 30 miles of you. Plus you have lake St. Clare and the St. Clare River within an easy drive from Lakeville. I have not fished for cats down in your area, but I'm sure if you talk to some locals or a bait shop you can get some good info. The Clinton River is good for Trout, as well as Paint Creek south of Lake Orion. Those are the only places I have fished, accept for the big Lake for perch in the winter.
    Good Luck, and welcome to the Michigan BOC. Someone will chime in here shortly about the catfishin in the big lake.
    Sparky

4. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Welcome to the BOC Havent fished down there much but there a couple guys that are down your way they will be along soon!

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Stony creek and the Clinton River are good bets for cats as well. I spent many days and evenings on the Stony Creek Impoundment with my grandpa. You will find good walleye, pike, cats, and ba$$ there.

The clinton river has trout, steelhead at the right time of the year, cats, pike and ba$$ too.

I'd also suggest going to the store and getting the michigan fishing books- theyre like Atlases with only lake maps on them and usually have 100 local or semi-local lakes that you can make in a day trip.

There isnt any BOC member within an hour of you- Vic would be the closest, or Sparky. Youre always welcome of course to come fish out my way north of Lansing!

We're here for ya if you have any other questions. Please report as we do on what you find in your area. We all want to learn more, and if we all help each other, we will be geniuses at the michiganfishing game in no time. Also- come to our gatherings if you can. Theyre family friendly and usually a really good time, even if not productive. :big_smile:

take care brother! Welcome!

Sal

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    How are things looking for an August 19 group outing?
    Somewhere on the mid-state, from the bank, so the Eastern guys can save a little gas and sleep for a change?

There are at least four new guys (cwi47, GR_cats, catfishing is fun, michiganman5) who may be interested, there's us hardcores (sal, don, spark, jim, me, jon), and we MAY even attract somebody from the Ann Arbor/Detroit area, if we give him enough notice and allow no excuses...

Are enough people available that weekend to make this worthwhile?
    Heck, we can't do any worse than we did last time...

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    I'm in and looking forward to it going through catfish withdrawals

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    My wife and I were married on the 19th, so I'm sure you can all understand why I won't be fishing with the boys. In stead I'll be sailing the high seas for a week or so, without fishing gear. Get together and have a great time. I'll be looking for your posts.
    Sparky

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC,you'll love it here!

10. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Jay!! Lots of great people and any info you might need!

11. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Welcome to the BOC michiganman5. I live in lapeer wich is only about 25 minutes from lakeville. I agree with sparky and sal jr, about the places they told you about. If your wanting to try a few places not to far from you lapeer is a good choice. There are a number of lakes here and i beleive you can access all with a boat. Theres lk neppesing, potter lk, otter lk and the holloway resevoir to name a few! The dam is the only place you cant get a boat into. There arent any big rivers here though. Hope this helps you out brother,GOOD FISHIN!

12. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC I am sure there is someone from your area that can help you out with your questions