lakes with stripers

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by daniel-delarosa, Jan 29, 2008.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    What lakes in Oklahoma have good numbers of stripers in them? My buddies and I are wanting to try some striper fishing. One person told us that Keystone lake would be the perfect place to try since we are novice fishermen...and novice boaters:confused2:. What do ya'll think?

2. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Lots more strripers in TEXOMA. Lots of Hybrid Stripers in SKITOOK, and SOONER lakes.

3. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    you can also catch stripers below the webber falls dam right above the i-40 bridge, i caught a 17lb. there one time

4. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm not knocking lake keystone.... shoot its my main lake to fish, but there are MUCH better lakes to fish for stripper. Close by tulsa, I'll have to agree Skiatook, but if you can make it to Texoma go for it.

Recommendation: If this is something your new too and don't want to waste time trying to fiqure things out, get a guided trip and learn from a expert.

5. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Oh yeah.. you want some insane sand bass or striper Hybrid fishing... I'll let out a secret, Horseshoe Bend at the top end of Tenkiller during spawn season end of March to the beginning of april when the water level is just right will produce some of the best fishing in Oklahoma. Call Jimmy Houston's Boat Dealer or his Convient Store and ask if the sandbass are running yet.

6. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    My vote is definitely for Texoma. I've got my trip scheduled for April. You need to be able to throw a castnet for shad. Shad is king on Texoma. Once you get loaded up with bait, look for the guide boats. They will show you where to fish. But don't go running up on them, that is a big no-no! Keep your distance and be wary of the noise that your motor makes. It can turn the fish off. The fish will move through as they chase the schools of shad. You just need to be on that feeding highway somewhere. I recommend trying around the islands.

Remember, don't lay your baited rod down. If you don't have a stout rod holder than just hang on to it. They will pull it in so fast you won't know what happened. Have a good time!

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I agree with others that Keystone really isn't a good striper lake. They didn't seem to recover after the big flood of 93. The lower Illionis is known to be a not a place to get large numbers but there's a good chance of a trophy down there. I'd personally head down to Texoma if you want stripers or swing to Skiatook, Carl Blackwell or Sooner for them hybrids.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    to fish a lake for stripers, go to Texoma.
    To fish below a DAM for stripers, go to Kaw, or Eufalla
    For Hybrids, lake - Skiatook, Sooner
    For Sand Bass (White Bass) Go to Eufalla, Skiatook, below Oolagah, Sooner, and Keystone.
    JMHO

9. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Yall.Texoma is #1 love that place,Like they said You got have FRESH SHAD.

10. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Ok guys, after reading all of your replies my buddies and I decided to book a trip with a guide on Texoma. We are going down there Saturday. I'm taking one of my boats with us also. I figured after the guide shows us how to find and catch stripers, we'd take my boat out the next day and do it again:smile2:. We will camp saturday night and set some jugs too.