Lakes or Rivers

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Tubby Catfishin, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    So Im guessin that theres not much goin on in the rivers right now?? These same 2 post have been here for bout 2 weeks now with no changes. Does everyone run to the lakes in the winter due to their depths?? Has anyone fished any rivers lately? Ive never really tried winter fishin and this is really my 2nd year of really wantin to catch cats...... big or small......and only cats.... I used to Bass Fish alot thru spring but I think this year Im gonna be chasin cats durin their spawnin run!! Im just really fascinated by these beautiful creatures and really wanna get on em this year!! My appoligies on the long mssg. just kinda got lost in the thought!!!! I guess i ran way with this one....... I guess what I want to know is Lakes Or Rivers In The Winter.... which is better?????

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Jonathan, I caught the fish in my avatar last Friday evening from the Yadkin River. There's an access where 85 and 150 meet, I believe it's York Hill? There are a few deep holes out there. The channels were hitting livers there on Friday, about a foot off the bottom.

3. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Lakes are great in winter but cats are to be found year round in rivers as well as long as you can find the holes/drops. Drifting or Strolling fishing works well because you can cover more area but it has to be SLOW because scents move slow in cold water. Once you find a fish you can anchor and work that area for awhile. And of course if you find a warm water discharge like a powerplant the season never changes for them because temp stays up.

4. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    hey floundah that is york hill where u fishing off the bank or in a boat thats where i fish all the time ifu where fish in a boat i would suggest going down river about a mile or so un till u see a lot of trees down in the water its really shallow but there is one channel that cuts through there tht is 12-14 ft deep where the cats could set up an ambush spot at

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brother Tubby Catfishin, you can catch some nice cats in the winter, just not as many as the good old summer time. Just slow everything down, such as drifting and think smaller baits. If you fish from the banks, just give the cats a little more time to bite and again think smaller baits.

6. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Eric, I don't have a boat at present. I was fishing a deep hole near the bridge closest to the boat ramp.

7. Wiskerstickerr

Wiskerstickerr New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Actually, there is a better chance of catching big cats in the winter on lakes or rivers. The cats will group up in the deeper holes in the rivers or lakes. If you find the right areas you will know. Just trust your electronics; if you see big marks you have probably found the right place. They will not move as much as they do in warmer water either reguardless of the current. They will still position themselves the same way as warm weather. All you have to do is fish the same way just fish as deep as the body of water will allow. Each body of water has different max depths. Start out by finding the deepest section you can find and work your way up from there. My partner in VA is consistantly catching fish over 50 on the James. I have yet to go down river but I plan on going down between Locks 2 and 3 on the Cape Fear soon to target trophy Blues. Also, let the fish tell you what they want as far as a presentation method. Experiment with anchoring, drifting and power drifting in zero current conditions. Drifting and power drifting methods are more work and are not so relaxing but they have yeilded good results for me in the right situation (40's and 50's). You really have to be versatile especially on a tidal river.

Wisker

8. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    so your saying you have better luck in the deeper holes in the winter? i always thought of them looking for shallow warmer water in the winter time and deep cool holes in the summer... except when feeding... but again im by no means an expert on the subject so im just picking for some helpful info.. is this true?

9. Wiskerstickerr

State:
    North Caro
    The water in the deeper holes keeps more of a constant temp where the surface and subsurface tends to fluctuate more which puts more stress on the fish.

10. Wiskerstickerr

State:
    North Caro
    You just have to look at the surrounding water. If you move from the main river which may run 40-50 ft deep into a tributary that averages 20 ft and then you run onto a hole or section that drops to around 30 then it should hold good fish in it because 30 ft is deep relative to the tributary. The fish may be in the tributary because baitfish are running in it and the Blues will follow. The spawn, for Blues, is difficult, to say the least, if you have ever been trying to catch 20# + fish.