Lakes or rivers?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by unclebuncle, Feb 5, 2009.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Just curious where others do most of their fishing.For flatheads I do most of my fishing in Neosho and Verdigris rivers but I know a lot of the lakes around here have huge fish in them.I'm going to start fishing Yates Center lake for channels.They have caught a lot up to 30lbs.

2. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    unclebuncle welcome to the boc:wink: don,t forget alot of the city and state lakes offer exellent oppertunities for huge catfish

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Im primarily a river fisherman but I do fish some lakes.
    I mostly fish the big and little Arkansas, the Walnut and Kaw Lake.
    Hey Ray, whereabouts do you live?

4. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I live in Humboldt,the Neosho runs right through town.

5. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    There is some good cattin out your way.

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Yes there is I got locked out of my favorite fishing hole after 30 years.A private dam north of Chanute.

7. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    I mostly fish the waharusa from the bank and the dragoon from boat I call em creeks though I'd really like to fish the kaw,missouri or larger rivers sometime. my favorite times to fish is just after a good rain tied up in the middle of the creek or just below current breaks. i mostly target channel a flat would be a plus for me.

8. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    That sucks! Its starting to happen alot.
    There was a dam in Oxford that I grew up fishing and now its private.
    You can still get there by boat but the river is shallow and full of sandbars. I hope I can make it up there this year. I havent been there for a LONG time.

You are fishing some good water for flatheads. Always keep a pole rigged with live bait and you might just get one. They are in there. You just have to wait em out.

9. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I've always been interested in Wakarusa and dragoon myself but have never fished them.Too far away.

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    I would rather fish the Verdigris or the Neosho. Unless last years oil laced flood hurt the kitties.:crazy::embarassed:
    The Nesoho used to be one of the country's best flathead rivers. I am sure its still up there in some stretches.
    Lots of BIG fish taken outta them 2 rivers, you just dont hear about them very often.

11. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    WELCOME TO THE BOC, LAKES IN YOUR AREA I LIKE ARE TRONTO RES, AND WOODSON STATE FISHING LAKE, JUST DOWN LOADED THE RESULTS OF THE STATE OF KANSAS, FISHING FORCAST AND TRONTO AND WOODSON ARE RATED HIGH THIS YEAR FOR CHANNELS RWG

12. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    I would have to agree kyle , seems its just natural to want to fish dirrernt waters/places.

If anyone's around the area and wants ta fish give me a shout and lets do some fishun. IiFF the water ever thaws:eek:oooh: I've got fishin fever badd.

13. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Aint that the truth!:smile2:

14. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

Bill have you been down and looked at the Wakie or Dragoon lately?

15. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    my inlaws live in IOla is there a boat ramp anywhere around there? Is it deep enough to run my 16' jon w/25 horse?Is the fishin any good there?

16. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    The river there is probably private. Usually the only fishin on places like that are public low water dams.

17. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Boat ramps are scarce and the river is private.Lot of riffles and then deep holes and fishing is good.

18. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Yeah there's one at Iola and another 10 miles north at Cottonwood falls that the state lists as public access. I do have a 8' 2 man bass boat with wheels on it and a 24 volt trolling motor. If I knew where the deep water was and there's not too much current I'd be ok.If they opened up a dam upstream at Redmond I'd be sol getting back against the current.I spose with some rope and sneakers and shorts you could wade till it got deeper.Anybody up for an adventure when it warms up?

19. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    One of my co workers has some land not to far from Neosho Falls, he said there is some public access at the dam, and a campground not far away. I'm gonna ride up with him one of these days, and check it out. His brother lives in Humbolt, can't remember his first name off hand, but his last is Seufert.

20. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    You must mean Neosho Falls.The only one I know about there is on a gravel bar,couldn't put much of a boat in there.The one at Iola is at water plant and theres deep water for quite a ways upstream.I dont recommend being in a boat when that rivers up much,it gets really wild.