Lakes or Rivers for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigtimingcats69, Mar 20, 2006.

1. bigtimingcats69

bigtimingcats69 New Member

State:
    Stuart, Virginia
    Im just curious if people have better luck in lakes or in rivers. Id like for people to post what kind of fish they caught and where they caught it either in a lake or river. Also include the size of the fish. Thanx!!

2. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fishing either lakes or rivers can be equally productive. Usually just a matter of personal preference. I prefer the rivers here mainly because it gets me away from pleasure boaters and jetskis etc. I like fishing with current available also. Contrary to what some folks believe, trotlining is a sport. A most enjoyable one. I like this better in a river, also.

3. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i love the rivers myself..i can usually find cats fairly easy but, a lake is another story...i just haven't figured them out yet

4. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Never fished a lake for cats...maybe I don't know what I'm missing??:confused:

5. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I prefer the river Santee to be exact when I am home and the Wisconsin while I am stuck up here... I was raised up fishin with my Grandad and on calm days we hit the cow pasture on the lake on windy days we put in under the HWY 52 bridge on the Santee river. I always had better luck on the river.

6. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I know a lot of big fish come from rivers, but I've personally seen more on lakes. I'm not saying less big fish come from rivers though.
    I have an easier time finding fish on a river, but catch bigger ones in lakes.

7. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Lakes for me, the rivers around me except the ohio are always too high this time of year.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

Well Drew, I caught a 10# flathead in the river,and I caught 10# flathead in the lake. Luck had very little to do with it in either case. I think you will find, just like our quarry, most cat fishermen are opportunistic. We fish when and where we can. Rivers, creaks, ponds, lakes, oceans and seas. After all these years I know I couldn't give you any true statistics, shoot I cant remember how many times I went to the river or lake just last year. If you are targeting big fish, utilize the knowledge here on the board and fish them both. I prefer rivers over lakes but its not because of how big the fish get. I like the peace and solitude a river provides, so I can think and relax. There is one thing you can bet on though and thats I would never turn down a trip to a lake, fish'n is fish'n after all, and I will fish when and where I have that opportunity.;) They all hold big fish so enjoy where you are fishing and don't wish you were somewere else. The grass is not always greener and the fish arnt always meaner lol :D

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My personal preference is rivers, probably because 80% of my fishing experience growing up was on local rivers and streams. I'm able to read the holes, current, current breaks, cover, and water levels a lot better on flowing water. I have caught some nice fish out of lakes though, don't get me wrong, but they have been fewer and far between.

10. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    my biggest cat is out of a river so i have to say river is better

11. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'm more of a river rat myself.:)

12. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    i only fish rivers for catfish

13. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    my best luck has been from rivers. but i have caught a couple from lakes.
    Bondman

14. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    well the river is 5 minutes from the house, the closest lake is 1hour 45minutes away. so i cant realy say to much about lakes. either me or my partner have landed several in the teens several in the twenties and 2 in the thirties last year.