lakes in the ok city area

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by whitney weese, Feb 26, 2008.

1. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    has any one fished lake hefner. have been by the lake off and on and would like to know if it has good fishing and if we can fish it. the only thing i have see on the lake is sail boats and wind boards

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Haven't tried it yet. Just be aware that in addition to state permits you will need an Oklahoma City Lakes permit to fish Hefner, Overholser, or Stanley Draper. An additional OK City permit is required if you want to put a boat on any of these lakes.

Good luck finding any info.

3. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thank you. that was a new one on me. have to check in to that

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It gets better............. no cast nets allowed to catch bait. In fact no nets of any kind (seine, trawl, gill etc.). Of course a dipnet is allowed for your catch.

No trot lines, no limb lines, no jug lines etc.....

Limited to three poles per person, with no more than three hooks per pole.

You can find the details in the regulations under special areas or something like that. You'll see the OKC city lakes special regs.

I don't think you see many fishing boats on these lakes because the fishing is usually slow. Never hear the locals talking about it, other than bad-talking it. the city lakes I mean.

To clarify an earlier post, you need a personal permit for the city lakes PLUS an additional boating permit of you want to launch your boat. Thats two permits, plus the state permit!

5. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Lake Hefner has a good population of sand bass and crappie. The walleye are exceptionally good as are the large mouth. There is also a growing population of smallmouth. The channels are stocked annually and average 1-3 #s, maybe a few bigger.

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I've heard there are supposed to be some big Flatheads in Overholser and Hefner but don't really know.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    No idea if you are referring to the two Guthrie Lakes as city lakes. They also require a city permit avaiable at the bait house near Guthrie Lake dam. The caught a 30 lb blue out of Guthrie this past weekend. Guthrie and Liberty Lake both have some large flathead.

8. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I've ran into a few guys that have told me they have done ok at Overholser using punch bait or dip bait (home made stuff). I know there are some people that have their secret spots, but chances are pretty good they will stay secret:sad2:

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Darryl.......I figured by now you would have "hit" everyone around:wink::smile2::tounge_out:

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    No, I've barked up the trees around here before but never got much response......except bad reports that is. If the fishing is any good around OKC, most folks are keeping that to themselves.:sad2:

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Darryl, I would hazzard a guess to say the fishing in or around OKC is as good as it is anywhere in this great country. The catching leaves a lot to be desired though. LOL

12. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i read somewhere that someone caught a 60# blue out of arcadia. is this true?

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Think it was something like 54 lbs. Caught it last December (2006) if I remember right.

14. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    My neighbor caught a 29lb blue on the north end of Overholser, near the cattail patch.

I have a friend that caught a 37lb flat from Hefner, drifting the west side along the dam. These lakes prolly dont have an over abundance of big ones, but you can always catch eaters. I catch good size waleye from Hefner. But I think Arcedia is the place for big blues.

15. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Could you give me any info to help with walleye at Hefner? I'd love to learn how to catch them, as it is, I've only caught one keeper, and that was fishing for bass!