Lakes Canyon or Saguaro?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Jighead, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Jighead

Jighead New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I know that both of these lakes were hit hard by the golden algae. But I would like to take my kids out to try to catch some channel cats close to home. Does anyone know how the catfish have faired in Canyon and Saguaro? Any recommendations as to which lake can provide some fish? I have a boat so we will be fishing from it. We arent neccesarily looking for size of fish, but numbers. In my opinion a 2 - 5 lb channel cat is one of the best ways to teach a kid about fishing.

Thanks - Jighead

2. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    CANYON!!! THere are more 2-5 lb catfish in there than you can imagine!! THere really isnt a gravy spot, but by the campground, or any nice flat. I have headed up river and found nice rock flats right off the channel and caught tons. I usually use worms. liver, or shrimp AND ALWAYS catch good numbers. No doubt by me, go to canyon and have a blast:smile2:

3. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    canyon....a nice spot too is between the marina and the restaurant. there are 2 feeder creeks, one going to the docks and the other goest towards the far east boat ramp... there is a flat area southeast of where those 2 feeder creeks meet

saguaro.... a place i like is more up the lake in the area of the rest area. the area on that side just upriver does ok, but trees everywhere. directly across from the rest area is a cove that ive fished and had decent luck

i use cutbait bluegills for bait at both lakes

but i agree... canyon has more numbers

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC bro! Whichever water you decide to hit I wish you all the best of luck!

5. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hi, my name is mike. Im new but Ill try to share some of my knowledge about Canyon. I ALWAYS fish right after a fish kill and heres why. Sunfish die off and get concentrated in the shallows. Catfish, not having the oxygen requirements that sunfish do just become lethargic. Once the oxygen levels come up again, big channels cruise the sandy flats picking up dead/dying fish. I have caught 15-20 lb channels on a regular basis out at boulder recreation area at first light after fish kills and guess what, Im the only one ever fishing except bass fishermen. Hooked some of them in less than 2 feet of water. The thing is, once the sun touches the water in over the cliffs in that little cove its like a light switch, the bite turns off.

6. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Do you fish all night of just go for the morning? I would like to do an all nighter, but would be by boat, so of course couldnt get back to the boulder site. But I know some nice spots, just hope the winds hold off

7. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Im in for fishing whenever much to the dismay of my non fishing gf.
    I fish canyon all night but seem to do best at dusk or pre-dawn.

8. Jighead

Jighead New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I would like to thank all who responded to this thread for the great advice. We went to Canyon lake this afternoon for about 5 hours (5:00 to 10:00) and hooked into 6 catfish. The largest was close to 4 pounds, with the rest all 1-2lbers. Four of the channel cats were caught on Shrimp, and the other two were caught on small waterdogs. All in all a successful, fun trip.

We may try Saguaro later this week to compare the catfishing to Canyon.

Thanks again for the help, and good luck to all on their future catfishing trips.

- Jighead

9. redhammer

redhammer New Member

State:
    az
    Heard apache had some monster flats in the game and fish survey.....so I would imagine that sag. Flatheads survived too.

10. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    So where at canyon did you go?

11. Jighead

Jighead New Member

State:
    Arizona
    We took the boat up about halfway towards the Apache lake dam and tied off to a no wake buoy in a small flat and caught the first four catfish there. Right at dark we moved and headed toward the beach/recreational area and drifted for the remainder of the time and thats where the final two cats were caught. It seemed like there was a huge gap between the first fish and the last fish. All fish were released to fight another day.

If everything turns out right, we will be heading to Saguaro tomorrow afternoon at about the same time frame. If we go I will post the same type of report as my first one.

Thanks again - Jighead

12. Jighead

Jighead New Member

State:
    Arizona

Edit: This should be 1/4 of the way to Apache lake dam. My fingers werent typing what I was thinking. Sorry about the error.