lakes and rivers

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Robbie Norton, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    Where are the best place to catch big catfish in the lakes or in the river:wink::confused2::cool2: I would like too know, an info..?

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Hi Robbie. Let these guys know what area your from and they'll help ya out.

I only fish Lake Hartwell, not exactly a big cat fishery so to say. These other gentlemen know there way around the state really well.

3. Robbie Norton

Robbie Norton New Member

State:
    Florence S.C
    I live florence sc

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I think that if you're after numbers of fish catch, with the potential of catching a true trophy, then the lakes are probably the best bet. That being said, all the rivers have plentiful supplies of fish, and quite a few very huge ones, too. Drift fishing on Lake Moultrie, for example, is a good way to cover a lot of ground on a fishing trip. Covering that much good structure on a river system usually requires a great deal of "run and gun" fishing, which is a little more time consuming, at least for me. I do love river fishing the best overall, though; maybe because that's where I grew up fishing. :smile2:

5. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Robbie, that is a great question! I think it's called fishing because every trip is about finding the fish and then coercing them into eating your offering. Most all fish are driven by their need to either eat, spawn or just plain survive. All fish eat sometime, with that in mind being at the place the fish are, or are going, when they decide to eat, is the key. I go fishing when I have the time, I rarely go fishing because the weather or the bite is good. Just go!!:wink:
    Catfish are what I term "opportunistic eaters", meaning that they will eat just about anything most of the time. Now there are times when they go on the hunt looking for food, these are the best times to fill the cooler.:roll_eyes: The Keys to rememer are that fish relate to the lake like you relate to your closet, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, yard etc. WHAT??:eek:oooh: When you are hungry you go to the kitchen, why, because there is food there. Catfish follow the bait, it's there dinner bell. When you are cold you put on a coat or hot slip into the pool. Cat's like comfortable temperatures too! When you feel frisky :eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:.........Cat's spawn in shallow water. Basically learning what is available in the body of water you fish, as far as structure, contours, humps, ditches etc. Fish often and keep a log book, write everything down! You will begin to establish a recognizable pattern year after year and your success rate will soar. Now having said all that, Lakes change, just like your surroundings, ditches fill in, new structure falls to the bottom, groups of certain fishes soar from one year to the next. Spending time on the water fishing is important, but always being a student is crucial to long term success. Go fishing with those people who you admire as fisherman, ask lot's of questions, think and keep a journal. The best fishermen I know have been fishing a long time and are always learning how to, on every trip. Hope this helps. I'm not anywhere near what most of these guys on here are as far as Cat Smakers Go, but I would be happy to fish with ya sometime!:wink: