Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Lake X Smackaroo Report - Just Kidding

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  WylieCat 
#1 ·
:smile2: Nah, Guys just pick'n:smile2: We decided to go to Monticello instead:smile2:
I've got to tell ya the last 2 months haven't been too kind for us. Last month, Bruce and I went out fishing. Before we even got to the first spot his 115 Johnson BLEW:crazy:. Then, the other day while Patmansc and I were catching 13 nice fish on Monty, I hit a couple of big waves and heard a loud crack like pop! Guess what? I split the transom:crazy:. Now I can't go to the Gathering because I need the money for a boat. So I'm sorry Pop Pop can't make it.:sad2:
Anyway Bruce, got his new motor and we hit Monty today and caught and released 10 nice blues. We caught a 12.1, 12.2, 16.5, 25.6, 35.0 and the others in the 4 to 8 lb range.
:big_smile: Sure was nice for Lady Luck to smile on us today given the boat problems we've had.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Good Job Bruce and Doug,those are some nice uns:wink:,like Jeff said,hopefully they will be biting Monday also,we gonna make a trip down and see whats happening

#9 ·
wasnt too good of a day for us either,we only caught 5,nothing to brag about,fished till about 1 and called it a day,the wind played havoc on us today,still beat working though:big_smile:

#10 ·
Marty, Jeff and Beaufort nothing but respect from me my friends. I monitored the weather forecast And I think Drifting was impossible to get slow enough :eek:oooh:and anchoring was crazy with boat sway:tounge_out: Ya'lls catch today was great giving the conditions. A true statement of Catmanship!:wink:Like I said" Nothing But Respect from me!":wink:

#12 ·
I have fished Monty several times in the past two months and caught good numbers and a few in the teens, but that seems like a really good outing with lots of nice size fish. I have been trying to learn more about that lake. Can you give me some tips on depth or areas to frequent. I learned pretty quick that water movement influences the bite quite a bit. Any help would be appreciated. When you say drifting are you talking about bumping the bottom or suspended rigs?

#13 ·
I have fished Monty several times in the past two months and caught good numbers and a few in the teens, but that seems like a really good outing with lots of nice size fish. I have been trying to learn more about that lake. Can you give me some tips on depth or areas to frequent. I learned pretty quick that water movement influences the bite quite a bit. Any help would be appreciated. When you say drifting are you talking about bumping the bottom or suspended rigs?
If ya really want to learn how to catch big fish at Monty. I suggest you contact Chris Simpson of Fightin Da Blues Guide Service. He's a great teacher and can help ya a lot:wink:. He is listed here in the guide section on the BOC.:wink:

#15 ·
"....I have fished Monty several times in the past two months and caught good numbers and a few in the teens......Can you give me some tips on depth or areas to frequent......"

Sounds like if you are catching fish in the teens you are doing something right. The big ones don't come around every trip no matter how good you are, but guides like BOC memberChrisblue produce them more often than other folks. Anyone can get lucky and catch a big fish, but to do it time and time again, season after season, takes experience and dedication.

Catching big fish consistently means you have to spend some time on the water. Subtle changes will make holes that produced last season a ghost town today. Hiring a guide is not only getting his time that day you are with him, but you also getting countless trips on those waters learning where those fish are from week to week, and season to season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.