Lake Wylie with LakeNormanBlues

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Apr 7, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mac took a wrong turn in Denver and ended up at the South Point access area Monday, so I took him fishing. I warned him that Billfish76 and myself narrowly dodged a "skunk attack" yesterday and only caught two fish. He decided to head out with me anyway and give it a shot.

We anchored in a couple of spots early and had a little bit of luck. Muddy water was everywhere up the South Fork, so we headed to some clearer water and did some drifting.

The drift bite was the ticket, and a long 90 minute drift across a flat put a good collection of fish in the boat. When I dropped LakeNormanBlues off at the ramp and we had put 17 fish in the boat. No monsters, but an "above average day" on Lake Wylie. As always, it was much more than the fish that made the trip. Stories of past fishing trips and dreams of ones to come made a normal day on the water a memorable one.

2. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like yall had a pretty good trip. What's the water temp up to?

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    WylieCat invited me to fish Lake Wylie with him and it turned out to be a nice trip. Seven or eight years ago, when I fished Wylie, it was rare to catch a blue catfish fish. If you caught one in a tournament everybody would look at you as if you had cheated, now it appears that it is common place. They still have the channels on LW and they still put up a good fight. I was looking to catch a DD, but it did not happen. Maybe next time.

The blues that we caught yesterday looked highly similar to the blues that we have on LKN, makes you wonder how they got into Wylie. I have heard rumors how they got into Wylie, but I am going to assume that it occurred several years ago when we had the flood. Also, they now have a fair crop of blue back herrings.

WC, thank for an enjoyable trip and company. Mac

4. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...What's the water temp up to?..."

The main lake above the South Fork is around 59 and the South Fork is 65-70 depending on how far up you go.

Terry, are you fishing Friday night?

5. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Just out of curiosity, how large are the bigger blues yall are catching there now? After seven or eight years?

6. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm definitely fishing this weekend. But I haven't made my mind up about pulling an all nighter yet.
    All those channels ought to be about ready to start spawning.
    This is my favorite time of the year to fish on wylie. I'm ready for some 30 fish trips. If the shallow bite hasn't turned on yet, surely it won't be long.:big_smile:

7. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...how large are the bigger blues yall are catching there now..."

Most of the blues are in the 3-5 pound range this spring, but we did catch a couple in the 8-12 pound range in February.