Lake Wylie Week of 8.26.06

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Aug 27, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The bite on Wylie picked up this week. I really only fished one hard day, but the numbers and size were good. We fished a tournament on Friday night and came in second losing by one ounce with 18 pounds 9 oz for a three fish limit.

The tournament started at 8:00pm and we had all of our keepers by midnight. We threw back probably 10-12 channels that were in the 5 1/2 pound range while in search of the 7-8 pound kicker we knew we needed. That fish never came. We went to scales with three fish that were all right around six pounds.

Overall we caught 25 cats, all in the 4-6 pound range. The bite was really dead though from around 1:00am-6:00am. The door slammed shut!!!

The water has remained in the mid 80's on the lower lake and the nights are moonless. It seems as though we are back into the cycle of a good early morning bite and a good evening bite from dark til around midnight.

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Its good to hear that the bite is picking up down there. Hope it improves here soon.

Good job on second place, beats last place any day. :smile2:

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Glad to hear that! Keep up the good work.!!

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good report, Dieter. Glad to know they're biting up there. Were you catching most of them shallow?

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Tommy we caught almost all of the fish in 18-22 foot of water trolling. The shallow anchor bite was NOT happening. None of our keeper fish came from the shallow bite.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Dieter.....sounds like a pretty good evening, except for that boring in the middle part :roll_eyes:. Seems every time I'm fishing that's the cycle! Sorry you didn't get the "kick" that you needed to put you into first place, but congratulations on your second place finish. Thanks for the report.

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Congrats, Dieter! You'll get 1st next time :big_smile:

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Well, looky there. Catgirl took the mask off, and how refreshing! :smile2:
    Dieter, that's a little surprising to me, I'm used to catching some pretty shallow at night (of course I've only been once this year), especially near mussel beds.

9. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Ya Tommy, we usually catch them shallow too. We won the tournament last month using that strategy, but our pre-fish trip last weekend was producing nice fish for several hours after dark so we gambled...and it paid off.

How about catgirl!! Turns out she is nice AND hot, not a bad deal!!

10. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Glad yall had a good night. Second place is always bette than third. Don't let boog and tater get a big head.

11. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    congrats on the 2nd place finish wlyiecat,sounds like you had a good night besides the lull in there,stay on em